What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
wquiles
    Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:00 am

Like with most/all of my machining projects, I start with a drawing of what I want:

I then start to clean up the steel:

And cut it to length:

Double check cut pieces:

Remove mill scale and taper the ends:

Use the left-over pieces to practice and find appropriate settings on my MIG200 welder:

Now for real. Position, clamp, align, verify, and then tack weld. The welds on the bottom will have to be ground off for the caster wheels:

First set out of the two:

Once I have both sets, then I start with the connecting arms (using angle iron as guide here):

After all is tacked in place, I welded, and then ground off the base/bottom portion. Although not pretty, the good news is that the welds are solid, with very good penetration:

Base of table is ready:

As my mentor recommended, I ground off the plating on the caster wheels, and then cut 1/4" plates to weld to the wheel's base. I am marking here where to cut and where to remove the mill scale:

And then weld in place through the hole:

Then tack and weld to the base:

And then weld on the inside - this one was a continuous pass end to end:

Then position the base on the table top, to mark where to remove the mill scale:

Once back indoors, I realign everything so that I can tack weld in place:

Then start welding:

Done for now:

Actually, not done - already planning on my first "mod":

Will
Last edited by wquiles on Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

Most of us, I suspect, have made similar welding table projects. But I found this sequence of photos thoroughly engaging.

First, well done. I see every reason to think this table will serve you well for years.

Second, love your process, all the way from "just enough" drawing, through to the finish. How much we can achieve, and what a good path to quality work it is, when we are methodical like this. Another, "good one, mate".

Next, a question: I use a much more labourious ("strategic") tacking sequence when I am building something that must be square, accurate, etc. What did/does your mentor say about controlling distortion in such situations?

Another point: I admire your care to photograph your progress in a project. A lot of people new to welding will benefit from this posting.

Finally, have you thought about gun holders, small vise, consumables shelf or drawer, custom slag scraper, brush and MIG pliers storage, etc ? I have a lot of stuff in a tool box on a shelf low down, under my table. Keeps things clean but always "right there".

Another "finally": I hope you have bought your mentor a beer,(a "coldie", as WeldinMike would say), once or twice.

Congratulations.
wquiles

Thanks man. Much more to learn ahead of me, but it was neat making something instead of doing practice beads.
AnvilJack wrote:Next, a question: I use a much more labourious ("strategic") tacking sequence when I am building something that must be square, accurate, etc. What did/does your mentor say about controlling distortion in such situations?
We talked about it in my introduction to welding class, and I read/study a little bit online. I placed tacks at opposite ends, , clamped stuff down as best as I could, and welded one side and then the opposite side, trying (as best as possible) to keep the tension as symmetrical as I could.

AnvilJack wrote: Finally, have you thought about gun holders, small vise, consumables shelf or drawer, custom slag scraper, brush and MIG pliers storage, etc ? I have a lot of stuff in a tool box on a shelf low down, under my table. Keeps things clean but always "right there".
Yes. I planned this table to have two shelves, so that I can keep stuff close-by. I ran out of time so hopefully one of these upcoming weekends I can get more stuff done.

AnvilJack wrote: Another "finally": I hope you have bought your mentor a beer,(a "coldie", as WeldinMike would say), once or twice.
He has been my machining mentor since 2006, and now my welding mentor, and since he lives in Illinois and I live in Texas, I actually have never meet him in person. I also have an electronics mentor in California since about 2008 or so, and it is the same - although I talk regularly with them on the phone very often, I have yet to say thanks in person. Hopefully one of these days :D
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I must say, thats a damn fine effort . Well designed and executed . The effort you out into cleaning the steel alone is far better than some professional pipe fitters and welders. Keep up the good work.

Mick
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

That is the birth of many future projects. Tables are probably the best project to do.

Nice job all the way around. Hopefully you get to use it a lot.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Nice Very Nice.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

one pic is worth a 1000 words. nice job, nicer pictures.
wquiles

Thank you guys :)
wquiles

It took a LONG time, but I removed the mill scale from the top, including rust, etc..:

And I added the first of 2-3 shelves I want to have in this work table:

This is one of the reasons I left that 3/4" gap in between the two pieces for the top:

Used this to smooth and round the edges of wood shelf:

Clamps go on this side:

Welding stuff:

And roll the table out of the way (next to my milling machine) when not in use:

Part of that square steel you see standing on the back (against the garage door) will be for the new table I will be building for my 4x6 metal bandsaw :twisted:

Will
mattmark6
    Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Wow nice work. That thing looks great. I really want/need to make a welding table but my garage is so full of stuff I'm thinking of making a folding one. One that folds out from the wall or something.

Question- What exactly is mill scale? Y is it important to remove it?
wquiles

mattmark6 wrote:Wow nice work. That thing looks great.
Thank you ;)

mattmark6 wrote:Question- What exactly is mill scale? Y is it important to remove it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill_scale
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?76301-Millscale

Wood? Why wood? (That's code for, "Why on Earth would you ruin a good welding table by using wood for a shelf?")
wquiles

AnvilJack wrote:Wood? Why wood? (That's code for, "Why on Earth would you ruin a good welding table by using wood for a shelf?")
Convenient (does the job), cheap (I had the wood laying around from a past project), fast (don't even need fasteners), and non-permanent - I can always do something different later on :D

Ah well. Wood it is, then. For now.
Cheers.
ironmanjay
    Wed May 15, 2013 3:41 pm

What did it cost to build that table?
wquiles

ironmanjay wrote:What did it cost to build that table?
Probably around $100 for the steel pieces for the table itself, and the premium/lockable caster wheels another $80 or so.
southern_tango
    Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Very nice table,simple and functional,well done.
How thick is the plate for the top?
wquiles

southern_tango wrote:Very nice table,simple and functional,well done.
How thick is the plate for the top?
Top plates are 1/2" thick.