What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Tjschur
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:14 am

Ok. I should have done this a long time ago. My Hobart/Bernard TIG cooler has a Oberdorger pump which has strright cut gears and makes tons of noise. You can see how loud it is in the videos. I even rebuilt the oberdorfer last year which was a total wast of a lot of money. I put new gears, bushings and seals in it.
So this porject I will take you though the conversion to a Pro-con pump. It took a little creativity and some fabrication to get it to work. It is about 100 times quieter now. All I hear is the fan.

Tjschur

To see the videos go to youtube and search Tjsnordic
There are many vids there on the TIG cooler conversion. I did not want to post them all here.

Hope this helps others wanting to do this.

T.J.
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

I find that the noise of the cooler is more pleasant than people dropping metal or trying to talk to me while I am welding. I guess it mostly depends on what size facility you are working in, but I find the sound of the square wave or the inverter to be much worse on AC, and the cooler helps mask that some. Nice bit of work there at any rate. That should last a life time.

ETA: I am wondering now if our cooler pumps were replaced at some point because all I hear is the fan, which sounds like yours in the video.

Thanks for posting this. I am sure some will find it useful because the Bernard cooling systems are hard to beat and are worth rebuilding IMO if one can find a worn out one at a deal.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Our electricians replaced the pump on one of our bernard coolers recently, and it went from the loudest piece of junk you ever heard to so quiet that you cant even hear it in a normal shop environment. Whish they had done it years ago,

Mick
Tjschur

TamJeff wrote:I find that the noise of the cooler is more pleasant than people dropping metal or trying to talk to me while I am welding. I guess it mostly depends on what size facility you are working in, but I find the sound of the square wave or the inverter to be much worse on AC, and the cooler helps mask that some. Nice bit of work there at any rate. That should last a life time.

ETA: I am wondering now if our cooler pumps were replaced at some point because all I hear is the fan, which sounds like yours in the video.

Thanks for posting this. I am sure some will find it useful because the Bernard cooling systems are hard to beat and are worth rebuilding IMO if one can find a worn out one at a deal.
Thanks TamJeff,
I hope this helps others with coolers that originally have Oberforfer pumps in their coolers. This set up is at my home shop for my Dynasty 300DX machine.
T.J.