What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Depdog
    Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:08 pm

Here are a few pics of my modified Harbor Freight welding cart. I bought an Everlast Powertig 185 (2014 model with duel voltage, stick/tig function and dinse 35 connectors)

After tinkering with it for a little while I bought the CK FlexLoc torch and am happy to say I am pleased with both the machine and the torch.

I lengthened the top tray on one side, added tabs to locate the 125 CF Argon bottle better and then added the tube holders for the PVC pipe to hold
image.jpg
image.jpg (52.55 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (61.58 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (58.36 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
Depdog

Uploaded the pics from my phone and they are straight there, don't know why they rotated.

Glenn
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Nicely done.

I've wondered about using 36" tubes for filler rod... over time, won't the tube fill with shorter rods that you can't reach? ;)

Welding carts seem to be like trucks - infinitely customizable. There are some pretty amazing projects out there.
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
Depdog

I dont put the shorter rods in them. I use one of the shelves to lay them on. Will probalby make a couple of short tubes, one for aluminum and one for steel just to hold them.

Glenn
    Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:48 pm

My idea was to put a pin through the tube a little off set and bend a hook on the end of the short rods so the are hung at top.
Marc. Aussie on the loose
    Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi all
I am looking to either buy or make a cart to sit my Miller Dynasty on with a built in toolbox /drawers so I can store all the torch consumables, does anybody have any ideas or has purchased one. I found one on Amazon but it was like 86lbs and they would not ship to Japan.
Photos and / plans would be great.

Cheers and late happy new year to you all.
Marc. Aussie on the loose
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Marc Godwin wrote:My idea was to put a pin through the tube a little off set and bend a hook on the end of the short rods so the are hung at top.
Ah, that seems like a very practical solution! I was trying to picture creative ways to get access to the bottom of the tube...

Can someone comment on whether it's important to keep filler rod in a sealed container? Does exposure to moisture in the air have any effect on them? The 10# tubes they come in don't seem very airtight.

Cheers,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Id say that those tubes will protect your rods just fine. Especially for home use. If they are sitting for any length of time, the copper coated steel may go dull, the al will get its oxidation on in, these two can be "fixed" by a light rub with scotch brite, before use. (maybe acetone as well for the al) but the ss will continue on being awesomely corrosion resistant .

Mick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

RichardH wrote: Can someone comment on whether it's important to keep filler rod in a sealed container? Does exposure to moisture in the air have any effect on them? The 10# tubes they come in don't seem very airtight.

Cheers,
Richard
Or shop is not climate controlled, on the humid gulf coast, and we store our rods "open", to little ill effect. As long as they don't get directly wet, even the carbon steel stays shiny quite a while. I only worry about cleaning the rods if they're obviously discolored, or if it's a critical or coded weld.

Admittedly, those tubes, capped, make for a neat appearance in the shop.

Steve S