What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
crazycarl
    Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:03 am

I'm a newbie at welding period. I went last week and purchased my first ever stick (Hobart 235 AC/DC LX) and I am having a blast. Got to thinking I NEED a table, something solid. So off to the local scrap yard and low and behold they had just the right thing, it had been there for some time the guy said and at .30 a pound I took it. Had to find some casters and then I started putting my own touches on it.

So, I have added an electrode holder, a power strip and today I added a rack for my cutting wheels.. I will build a box holder under/between the handle next week. I have some thin sheet metal that I will cut and weld up. Wish me luck.. having a blast learning. Here are some pics...

HW,
CrazyCarl
Attachments
power strip
power strip
DSC_2342^.jpg (66.72 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
cutting wheel holders
cutting wheel holders
DSC_2341^.jpg (98.82 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
Electrode holder
Electrode holder
DSC_2188.JPG (51.15 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
cart with casters added
cart with casters added
welding cart originally.JPG (47.69 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

At 30 cents a pound, that's a deal, even a steal.

Looks like plenty of work area, and you're organizing it well. It's also inexpensive enough not to be upset if it eventually proves to be "not enough".

I suggest getting a big slug of steel, like a semi-truck brake drum, for when you really need to pound the sh!t out of something. The brake drum is solid, and has multiple curves and edges, to serve as a redneck "anvil". Just a suggestion, since the table isn't built for an eight-pound hammer...

Post another pic when you have it like you want it?

Steve S
Zach_T
    Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

Hell of a find I've been looking around at my local scrap yard a lot lately since schools out, hoping to find a welding table and ain't been able to yet
If ya ain't burnin ya ain't earnin
crazycarl

Thanks, yeah it is nice but I think the metal may be just a hair to thin on top... I have some 3/8" and my ForceCut 80i just shipped today from Cali... so next week I will make a nice top. Do you all think 3/8" is thick enough?

I will look down at the scrap yard tomorrow for a semi brake drum, I have a split rim here but no drums..

CrazyCarl

Having a blast!
Bugel
    Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:52 pm

You might consider adding a angle grinder holder in the other side of your table..mine is 1/2 thick and it serves me well..

3/8 is good enough if you dont pound frequently in your table top..

crazycarl

Bugel, that is a nice looking table. I just wanted to do an update on my table top, I finally got it home and cut it with the new ForceCut 80i from Longevity and all I need to do now is tack it on, weld up the side plates and grind the top. I have been thinking of making a "folding" plasma cutting table on one end.

Does anyone know what that coating is, it looks like thick paint and it is definitely NOT magnetic. I am going to grind it off to get the top just right.

Anyway here she is, home and almost ready. I had to reinforce my table as I felt that it was warranted, the top is almost completely flat with just a 1/16 of uneven area about 1/3 of the from the left side of the table.. nothing that I am going to worry about.

I also made the angle grinder holder on one side, it is really helpful for a lot of things! Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks,
CC
HW!
Attachments
table top thickness
table top thickness
IMG_1171.JPG (70.83 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
cut and waiting to be ground...
cut and waiting to be ground...
IMG_1178.JPG (62.17 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
table top in its glory at the scrap yard (600lbs) and 180 dollars..
table top in its glory at the scrap yard (600lbs) and 180 dollars..
IMG_1120.JPG (79.94 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I see you took the suggestions, and used the " open" parts of the table.

Have you had a chance to exercise that side, yet?

Steve S
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Coating might be polyurethane.
Looks good.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
crazycarl

@79jasper, it is definitely some type of paint or coating. I was able to grind it off but it seemed to take forever.

@Steve, I am glad you brought that up. Not sure if you can see it from the pictures but I am wondering about something. "Remember" I am a noob, the table itself has a SOLID top and then I come along and put this metal plate on there which has a solid portion and an area that has open portions in it. The question is "do I cut holes in my original" top to match or try to use this as is?

If I need to cut holes then it is going to be hard to do as I have now "tacked" the new top in place. As it is right now, I cannot put anything "through" the table and it is really somewhat useless. My guess is I have to make the holes all the way through.

Please give me your thoughts and comments... As for the plasma cutting area, I am thinking of building a "fold down" area that I can swing up and lock into place with some arms. Maybe the top width and 2.5 feet in length.

Thanks,
CC
HW!
Bugel
    Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:52 pm

looking good carl.. ;)
crazycarl

Bugel wrote:looking good carl.. ;)
Thanks... ;)