What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

This metal art caught my attention. It's welded metal (from nuts and bolts).
Attachments
Hulk2.jpg
Hulk2.jpg (111.55 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
Hulk1.jpg
Hulk1.jpg (114.32 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I don't think "wow" or "awesome" quite cover this one!!! What talent there! If only.....
-Jonathan
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

That is truly amazing!
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I just feel sorry for whatever all those nuts and bolts used to be holding together. :) Imagine the time that went into that, Bill Bigsby was probably still on prime time when he started.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Just how friggin' angry WAS that welder....

Nice work.
Tassie Dave
    Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:04 am

Incredible work. And must have more patience than a saint. Wow does not cover that effort. !!
I have an
Esab LHQ 150
Pro Weld TC256 ACDC multi process Tig Cut MMA
WeldSmart Mig 200IGBT Mig Tig MMA and spool gun

danielbuck
    Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm

that is insanely impressive, getting the smooth curves like that! I'd love to get a glimps of what the technique was for keeping the shape so perfect!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

All I can say, is, "That's nuts."

Look closely, and that's all it is... nuts.

Steve S
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

How would you go about making something like that?

The only way I can figure is to start with a full size wire frame, or some kind of structure that's close to the finished shape.
Then I would tack weld the nuts together in various sized sheets, so there's flexibility in those sheets...almost like a sheet of paper or a piece of fabric. The sheets would need to be able to be pressed into various shapes and curves.
Then I would take those sheets and fit them onto my frame piece by piece, pressing them into the contours and cutting away or adding pieces where they were needed....tack sections together so they can come apart later as larger pieces.

That would work for a majority of it. The rest would have to be fit in as needed. If the outer layer of nuts was done in halves or sections, those could be pulled away to take out the wire frame or whatever was used as a form, and then all the sections welded back together.

Just guessin'!
Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Steve and I think alike... that is nuts. Very talented sculpture there!
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

The easiest method would be to make a reverse mold and then layout the components to be tack welded.
- You would start by making the initial shape from clay and a sub-frame structure.
- When you have the shape that you are looking for, you would then make a mold of that shape.
- Remove the mold and then layout the metal components inside the mold and tack them together.
- this would give you a great starting point and all of those nuts would lay as flat as possible.
- after the initial metal structure is formed, you can add the special effects. (hair, clothing and skin texture.)
delraydella wrote:How would you go about making something like that? Other Steve
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Very impressive! :D

The complete thing must weigh a tonne though! :shock:

Bye, Arno.