What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I've decided to cut my own lumber, to save costs at the acreage.
I bought a set of plans for the following machine on eBay for $35.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4GYDtIsIv0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eqwZb4D9r8
Attachments
Sawmill1.jpg
Sawmill1.jpg (108.17 KiB) Viewed 2946 times
Last edited by WerkSpace on Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

That will be a fun build! Where are you getting the purchased parts? Would like to see the progression of this project.
-Jonathan

This will be a low cost build. With any luck, under $1,000.
The parts will be acquired mostly from metal recycle yards.
With a good coat of paint, it will look like brand new.
Superiorwelding wrote:That will be a fun build! Where are you getting the purchased parts? Would like to see the progression of this project. -Jonathan
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Like the idea. My brother in law has a wood mizer and they do a lot of sawing. He sawed all the lumber to build his house. Great idea.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

It's been my lifelong dream, to build and use a sawmill. Keep us posted. I can live vicariously through you.

I'm always amazed at what people build things from.
It doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S4J0xd--i4
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

WerkSpace wrote:I'm always amazed at what people build things from.
It doesn't have to be expensive, it just has to work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S4J0xd--i4
That's awesome! It seems like the whole thing is repurposed parts from a junker. And clearly not an OSHA-approved design. :lol:

One day I'll have a big piece of land where I can build redneck contraptions like this out of sight from my wife and the neighbors!
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

One day I'll have a big piece of land where I can build redneck contraptions like this out of sight from my wife and the neighbors![/quote]

+1

Did anyone notice that he uses the scraps to drive on wood? http://driveonwood.com/

I've had the plans for the 'mother earth news' wood gasifier for several years, but never built one.
Wood gasifiers were very popular in Europe during the second world war during the petrol shortage.

If the economy ever turns in that direction again, this knowledge might become very useful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas_generator
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

In the seventies and eighties Duncan Syme the genius behind Vermont Castings had an owners outing each year. It was a sort of carnival event, steam train for the kids, a VW Beetle invisible inside a giant 20 foot tall fire breathing dragon, there were hundreds of things to see and do. Duncan drove around wearing a WW1 flying ace outfit, silk scarf trailing behind. He drove a cast iron claw foot bathtub. Some of the parking was far away serviced by a shuttle bus, a 1933? Ford V8 once used at Yellowstone National Park. It towed its fuel source, a trailer mounted gassifier.

This fellow sells an almost identical sawmill, as the plans that I bought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN6GGqWnEbs
He talks a lot about the design and innovations of his product.
All of this information is worth considering before I start my project.
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

WerkSpace wrote:This fellow sells an almost identical sawmill, as the plans that I bought.
Definitely some seasoned experience there worth listening to. I actually watched the whole thing. :-)

How much did your plans cost, and what do you estimate the build cost at? They don't llst prices on their site (I hate that!), but they were advertising a promo for $35K. Whew!
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!

Richard,
the Cooks MP-32 Portable Mill is listed between $6,000 - $7,000 depending on engine options.
http://www.cookssaw.com/index.php/sawmi ... 2-portable
The plans that I bought on eBay were 35 bucks and I estimate $1,000 in used parts to build it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sawmill-Plans-t ... 1365147773
RichardH wrote:
WerkSpace wrote:This fellow sells an almost identical sawmill, as the plans that I bought.
Definitely some seasoned experience there worth listening to. I actually watched the whole thing. :-)
How much did your plans cost, and what do you estimate the build cost at? They don't llst prices on their site (I hate that!), but they were advertising a promo for $35K. Whew!

Simply amazing! and it's built from recycled materials.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLCtq-P1dLA
dsmabe wrote:One day I'll have a big piece of land where I can build redneck contraptions like this out of sight from my wife and the neighbors!
+1[/quote]
RazrRebel
    Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:41 am

If you look on YOUTUBE you can find a bunch of videos. There are two that are pretty thorough. One guy is John Cornelius. He has two different sets, look for 2nd generation. They go through building the trailer all the way to the end. I think about 14 videos all together. The other one, the guy go by the name of pastorBcoy. His videos are pretty good too. He actually cuts a keyway with a grinder. He only has 5 videos but they are really good. This is the major reason I bought my welder. Right now I've been accumulating tools and supplies. I will be getting metal soon to get started. If you go to Linn Lumber and look at their kits, you can get an idea on the parts you'll need. I've sourced just about everything except the wheels. I think your estimate of 1000 is about right. The engine will be the one to look for. You can saw with a small engine, just slower. This will be my winter project. Last year I built a log splitter. Hopefully I'll be ready to start mine after a few more tools, and a welding table and cart has been built. I'll be watching this thread, and hope to document mine too. Just a hint. If you have a tv and youtube in your garage it would be helpful as their are so many videos out there. I'm currently downloading all of these two videos to my hard drive for reference.

Thanks for that info, I've found another link with a hydraulic drive motor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfz4sWrHvus

I've been collecting CASE 446 lawn/garden tractor parts, and I have spare hydraulic motors/pumps.
I believe that a hydraulic drive system would help eliminate the engine pulses to get a smoother cut.
RazrRebel wrote:If you look on YOUTUBE you can find a bunch of videos. There are two that are pretty thorough. One guy is John Cornelius. He has two different sets, look for 2nd generation. They go through building the trailer all the way to the end. I think about 14 videos all together. The other one, the guy go by the name of pastorBcoy. His videos are pretty good too. He actually cuts a keyway with a grinder. He only has 5 videos but they are really good. This is the major reason I bought my welder. Right now I've been accumulating tools and supplies. I will be getting metal soon to get started. If you go to Linn Lumber and look at their kits, you can get an idea on the parts you'll need. I've sourced just about everything except the wheels. I think your estimate of 1000 is about right. The engine will be the one to look for. You can saw with a small engine, just slower. This will be my winter project. Last year I built a log splitter. Hopefully I'll be ready to start mine after a few more tools, and a welding table and cart has been built. I'll be watching this thread, and hope to document mine too. Just a hint. If you have a tv and youtube in your garage it would be helpful as their are so many videos out there. I'm currently downloading all of these two videos to my hard drive for reference.
RazrRebel

If you're engine is running smooth, I wouldn't think there would be any pulses. Somethings gotta run your hydraulics if you're engines pulsing so will your hydraulics.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

WerkSpace wrote:
I've been collecting CASE 446 lawn/garden tractor parts, and I have spare hydraulic motors/pumps.
I believe that a hydraulic drive system would help eliminate the engine pulses to get a smoother cut.
Can't you just use a flywheel? I would've thought most decent size engines already had them?
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

RazrRebel wrote:If you're engine is running smooth, I wouldn't think there would be any pulses. Somethings gotta run your hydraulics if you're engines pulsing so will your hydraulics.
A twin-cylinder Kohler 4-stroke cycle engine running at 2400 RPM (40 Revs/second), running perfectly, would pulse at 20Hz, with no load in perfect conditions. However, there is always a rapidly changing load, which the governing mechanism follows imperfectly. A carburated engine with a governer-style control is particularly vulnerable to pulsing.

Hydraulic systems, however, always include an accumulator, who's purpose is to absorb and smooth rapid changes in pressure, like a capacitor in an electronic circuit, or a shock absorber on a big truck.

I work with pumps driven both ways, and I assure you, the hydraulic pumps are much smoother.

Just an FYI...

Steve S
RazrRebel

I understand the hydraulics. I built a logsplitter last winter. It's got a 8 HP. Motor,pulses but you never notice it. I was just thinking he was trying to stay around 1000.00 I've personally seen three or four homemade ones, and no problem at all. Hydraulics seem like it will just complicate things. To each his own though.

Werkspace has access to scrap-yards that would make you or me drool...

If he can do a proper hydraulic drive, more power to him, and I'd like to see the result.

Steve S

The plans (on a DVD) arrived in the mail today.
When I get home, I'll have a chance to look them over.
I have a lot of hydraulic components from CASE 446 hydraulic drive garden tractors.

The installation of hydraulics seems less troublesome than belts and sheaves.
It allows for speed control, which is important when cutting different densities of wood.
I could also turn off the blade rotation at any time, without stopping and starting the engine.
Attachments
Hydraulic Diagram.JPG
Hydraulic Diagram.JPG (41.8 KiB) Viewed 6966 times

Werkspace,

That system will thank you for adding an accumulator. The longevity of the parts is a great benefit. They will not be hammered by hydraulic pulses. Think of it like a "water hammer arrestor" for your bathroom sink.

Steve S

Thanks Steve, I have a hydraulic accumulator in my junk collection.
It came to me at no cost and is the perfect size for this application.
Otto Nobedder wrote:Werkspace, That system will thank you for adding an accumulator. The longevity of the parts is a great benefit. They will not be hammered by hydraulic pulses. Think of it like a "water hammer arrestor" for your bathroom sink. Steve S
RazrRebel

Seems like your set on hydraulics and thats fine. If you don't go that route you can always throttle up and down with the throttle on the engine. The blade stops turning when you throttle down as long as you have a centrifugal clutch. If not you can stop the blade with a belt tensioner too. I guess it's as broad as it is long. Our scrap yards here are actually scrap. Nothing hardly to use at all. I'll have to buy new metal as I can't find any anywhere used or at the yards. I'll still be watching this build. The hydraulics would be nice for a log lift too.