What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

Good Afternoon (ish), everyone. Since retiring, most of my welding has been of the "odds and ends" variety or artistic. I am wanting to design and build some custom wheelchairs and other adaptive equipment, as the stuff currently on the market mostly seems designed by able bodied persons. Everything I've built up til now has just been sketched on a notebook or with soapstone on a piece of scrap. I think I need to learn some basic CAD to use in my endeavors. Sorry for the long winded post..
I'm looking for recommendations as to which CAD program is easiest to learn. Also, being affordable would be a big plus.
Thanks.
-Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Eldon,

I've never used it, but there is an open-source 3-D CAD program called avoCADo, found here:

http://avocado-cad.sourceforge.net/

Kinda like Firefox and OpenOffice... it doesn't get cheaper.

Steve S

Thanks Otto, I'll check that out. I do like open source stuff :D

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
avlfj40
    Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:19 am

Google Sketch Up is another free one. I've never used it so not sure about ease of use.

avoCADo is listed as pre-alpha and has not been updated in several years. I think I'll give sketchup a try and see if it meets my needs. I have zero CAD experience but I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the replies.
Cheers.
-Eldon

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

xwrench wrote:avoCADo is listed as pre-alpha and has not been updated in several years. I think I'll give sketchup a try and see if it meets my needs. I have zero CAD experience but I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the replies.
Cheers.
-Eldon
I'm spolied with over 17 years of AutoCAD training, but I've had buddies who can't draw a straight line with a ruler use sketch up...works pretty good.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

I've been happy with DesignCAD 3D Max ... It's been easy to navigate and flexible for my needs.
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
Diesels_n_Poker
    Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:33 am

I don't know if affordable applies, but I figure Solidworks to be the best. They offer student packages at a decent price. Like welding, takes practice but well worth the effort.
Jake Matthew
    Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:08 pm

If you're retired, take some night college courses. I've been using AutoCAD for about 14 years now. You can go online and get a free student copy if you're learning. I have all kinds of parts plasma and laser cut all the time. Once you go that route, the possibilities are endless. Things fit together nicely and that makes for prime welding.
    Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:11 pm

My vote is for MoI3D. It's a Nurbs modeller, just like Rhino. Which is no wonder, because the guy who stands behind MoI is the same guy who wrote Rhino in it's early days.

And on top of an affordable price and a very intuitive utilisation, you have a very, very, very helpful community to get you going. Just check out the MoI forum to see what I am talking about.

Ted
Lincoln Invertec V145-S
Hammers & Angle Grinder