What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

A good friend who owns a Tree Service Co. approached me to fabricate 2 fuel cap locks. This was an interesting project. These are for a chipper and a stump grinder. I started with 4 1/2" pipe ...1/4" wall. The caps are 18 ga. tig welded on. I took precise measurements on the filler necks below the cap threads. This was done to give a good tight fit with minimal movement and to accommodate the rubber on the bottom of the lock.....the chipper has a plastic tank. I then cut the holes and machined the hole to size on my lathe. The hole unit was then cut in half. hinges were made from 1/2" bar stock with 1/4" pins and thick washers cut to size. The pieces for the padlock were 1/2" x 1" flat stock. These fit well and should work well too. Just don't know what to charge.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

As long as the customer can support it, $X a hour x how many hours you have in project, add up to 40% on material and there you go.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Since those are commercially available, you'd have to look at comparable pricing, and I'll wager you can't compete.

Steve S
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Good friend = material cost + case of beer/bottle of your drink.

To me good friend>$.

Now acquaintance = comparable to what's out there
Hindsight2020
    Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:02 pm

You did a nice job whether they're available or not. But every time I've caught myself in the situation of not knowing what to charge a buddy, I usually add 10 to 20 bucks on top of material and go on about my business. Like Wes917 says, a buddy is worth more than money. But, in the same hand, like Steve said that might already put you 15 dollars over a mass produced cap lock. Looks like you have two cap locks and one pickle lol.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Hindsight2020 wrote:Looks like you have two cap locks and one pickle lol.
I didn't realize it was you that posted this until I read it the second time lol. I was thinking "Man that sounds like something Cole would say." Lo and behold, it was you!

And if you guys think welding is hard to justify cost to a buddy, try working on cars. It's a hundred times worse!
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Hindsight2020 wrote:Looks like you have two cap locks and one pickle lol.
I didn't realize it was you that posted this until I read it the second time lol. I was thinking "Man that sounds like something Cole would say." Lo and behold, it was you!

And if you guys think welding is hard to justify cost to a buddy, try working on cars. It's a hundred times worse!
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Hindsight2020
    Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:02 pm

Lol, my main reference was to wrenching as well but either way its a legitimate struggle.
wish i could weld
    Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi,
Long ago I was told "You have to charge your friends because your enemies don't come to you"
Have a great year
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

wish i could weld wrote:Hi,
Long ago I was told "You have to charge your friends because your enemies don't come to you"
Have a great year

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Those may be the wisest words I've read on ANY forum!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve S
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Steve
I second that. Still laughing.
And how true!
Trevor
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
snowman
    Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:06 pm

Cost of materials (including gas and consumables) X 1.50 + $50 X hours worked. = $$$$$
Get thrown down 9 times get up 10