What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

I have to do couple of little tanks in near future. Those will be made of 316L 306x2 mm pipe and surface must be polished to mirror, including weld beads.

I did some small testing today and noticed some waviness on surface. Nothing too bad, but I just wondered that is it possible to get those waves flat. Any experience?

Grits used: #40 - #60 - #80 - #120 - #320 (usually I use 240 before 320, but didn't have any today)
After sanding I polished it up with tree stages.

Some pics.
Waviness appears horizontally
Waviness appears horizontally
IMG_0497.JPG (18.29 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
Not that awfull
Not that awfull
IMG_0510.JPG (31.3 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
Mill finish
Mill finish
IMG_0511.JPG (36.27 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
IMG_0514.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG (33.97 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
IMG_0515.JPG
IMG_0515.JPG (54.69 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
-Markus-
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

That looks pretty good for #320 grit....I would have thought that you would have needed a few more finer grit stages to get it polished down that shiny...like #600, #800, #1000 and #1500
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector

Hmm usually #320 is fine enough, when sisal's are used. However I haven't tested to go finer, maybe it will help a bit. I will give it a go.
I also thought that maybe flap wheel won't deliver equal pressure, which could cause those waves :?: Specially with grit sizes #40 and #60.

From this site I have learned some precious things. http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/
Here is their short guide for polishing.

Polishing Steel, Stainless Steel & Iron.
If the metal is in a poor condition then abrasives will be needed. Thats where experience of polishing comes in, looking at then metal and knowing what process you need to start at.
You will need to get the surface to 240/400 grit before you start polishing at process 1.
If the condition of metal is not too bad or you have the surface to 600 grit + then you could start at process 2.

Process 1 (Burnishing) Grey 523LBZ compound with a sisal polishing mop
Process 2 (Prepolishing) Green 439T compound with a white close stitched polishing mop
Process 3 (Polishing) Blue P164 Compound or Rose P126 Compound with a Loose G quality
Process 4 (Finishing) P175 for super finishing with a Loose WDR quality mop
-Markus-
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I think standard flap wheels inherently cause ripple marks - but the " interleaf " type that has " Scotchbrite " material in between each layer is better - I have had good results not using flap wheels but doing virtually the whole process with mops - we have a compound called " Sateen " - referred to as a greasless gritted compound - it's available in grit sizes 80 thru 320 - it's applied usually to a hard spiral stitched mop & needs time to dry before use - it's great as a first stage on anything except soft metals.

noddybrian wrote:I think standard flap wheels inherently cause ripple marks - but the " interleaf " type that has " Scotchbrite " material in between each layer is better - I have had good results not using flap wheels but doing virtually the whole process with mops - we have a compound called " Sateen " - referred to as a greasless gritted compound - it's available in grit sizes 80 thru 320 - it's applied usually to a hard spiral stitched mop & needs time to dry before use - it's great as a first stage on anything except soft metals.

I tested those Scotchbrite flap wheels, but those don't remove metal fast enough. So in this case those are completely useless. However I have used those with good results in repair jobs where metal have always been in really good condition at the beginning.

I read some topics about that Sateen from different forums. I'll have to test that one day.
-Markus-

Ok fellow welders problem is solved.

I changed those flap wheels to angle grinder and sanding discs. Dropped rpm's down to 2000 and started to work that baby from grits #80-1000. After that polished it up with two soft mops. Results... Near perfect!

Thanks guys! :)

No more waves in straight line
No more waves in straight line
IMG_0529.JPG (23.05 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
Attachments
Reliable Makita
Reliable Makita
IMG_0531.JPG (40.22 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
-Markus-
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I use tooth paste as a polish. and... it smells minty fresh. :lol:
It works great on plastic car headlights, chrome wheels, etc.
You can even use it to fix up those scratched CDs and DVDs.
Attachments
headlights.jpg
headlights.jpg (21.2 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

WerkSpace,

I've done that several times. It works great, but it doesn't seem to last. How do you treat them to resist UV?

Steve S
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Sun screen? :lol:
Otto Nobedder wrote:WerkSpace, I've done that several times. It works great, but it doesn't seem to last. How do you treat them to resist UV? Steve S
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

WerkSpace wrote:Sun screen? :lol:
Otto Nobedder wrote:WerkSpace, I've done that several times. It works great, but it doesn't seem to last. How do you treat them to resist UV? Steve S
Well, they make UV blocker treatments for eyeglass lenses and safety glasses, so yeah, "kind-of". There should be something available to treat a freshly polished plastic to resist UV.

Steve S
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Clear coat paint spray. Most of it has UV blockers.
Best way is wet sanding.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Well if we start to discuss about detailing 8-)

Headlights->
5sZg9cj2hxI

Aaaaand for coating.. C1 ofc and Exo on top of it. Shines and bead like no other...
U2vOsu-RtUM
-Markus-
shade-tree
    Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:29 am

Hey Otto.
I'm no ace but I have been called something similar. :twisted: Try this:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/headligh ... MFtWS6y7KA
I don't know how long it lasts because my truck is only 18 mos old. Time will tell. The sealant is intended to be used each time you wax or seal the vehicle (3 - 6 months). But nothing lasts very long parked in the sun.
Jon
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

^ if you use that every time you wash it from new, you won't even have any headlights left after a few years.
In essence, don't do that.
Get something like this, since yours are still fine. http://www.xpel.com/products/headlight_protection.asp

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk