What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
jrouse
    Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:17 pm

Hey guys I have seen a lot of Jody's videos from the dvd's that I bought and on YouTube. He uses some sort of stand to weld in positions such as overhead and vertical up and also when when he filmed the 6G pipe test. I would like to get or build something like this to practice with. I am a newer welder that is currently in a welding program and think practicing with this would be beneficial to me as we don't have anything like this at school. I have access to a garage and welding machines that I can use to practice with so having something like that stand would be great. Eventually at school we will get our AWS D1.1, ASME IX and our API 1104. I would love to be ahead of the game by getting extra hood time in! If you guys have any plans or ideas how I can build one or get one please let me know. Thanks!
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

jrouse,
The one that Jody uses in the newer videos is sold by a company called Triangle Engineering. You can use it for ideas to build your own. Here's one I built.ImageImageImageImage

Len

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Very nice!!!
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I like that stand Len. I will try to get a pic up of mine but it is really simple.
-Jonathan

It not great for large or heavy parts because of the small footprint but it moves easily and being able to adjust high enough to stand is nice. My back is not what it used to be so I like the be able to have what I'm welding at eye level and that's just the ticket for small parts. The foot pedal fits under it too, that's a plus.

I made a couple stools too, I gave one to Sam that has an old tractor seat and I kept the one with a gel bicycle seat.ImageImageImage

They use the design that Jody used in the video for the height adjustment but I made dies for my bender for 3/4 square tubing, hence the legs.

Len

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
snowman
    Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:06 pm

Great stand! I always have leftover pipe from work and was thinking about making a multi position stand myself. I had some ideas but after seeing Jody's and yours I got a couple more. Once again great job!
Get thrown down 9 times get up 10
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Len,

I congratulate you on witholding your sense of humor, and not making a welding stool short one leg...

:shock:

Steve S

P.S. ;)

@Steve

Actually they all started out as four legged stool designs so in a sense I did short them a leg. :) I took one small bit from Jody's stool video about it being easier to keep a three legged stool from wobbling than one with four.

I also have some seats in mind that would offer an extended support for Sam so he could remove his leg so there would be no chance of getting the computer controlled knee into the ground path, that would be a $50K mishap. They make wheelchair pads with an extension on the seat for the stump and my thought was a welding stool with something similar would allow him to lean forward more without wanting to tip, like when you drop the filler rod and have to lean over to pick it up. I saw him struggle with this a little while he was home and we spent some time in the garage welding.

I had a co-worker ask me today what they do with the leg once it's amputated. Telling the story of having to fill out papers with choices listed for the legs disposition brought back feelings that can squelch your sense of humor. There were way more choices than I had ever entertained.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

I'd not considered those options, Len.

I suppose one could actually have one's severed leg "taxidermied", and made into an umbrella stand, if one were so inclined. Couldn't sell it on e-Bay, though...

Perhaps a lamp? Ala' "A Christmas Story"

Seriously, though, the basic tripod is the design to start from. There's no rule that a tripod must be an equillateral triangle.

An Isoscelese (sp?) triangle, with the long point being where Sam would normally use the absent leg for balance seems appropriate. Perhaps a Scalene triangle, where the absent leg then makes a point in a square? Thus his balance is assured by the isoscelese form, and the pedal control and the physical sense of balance come from the remaining leg.

Len, Sam, I may poke fun, but I also think hard about what may or may not work.

Steve S
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Well, in theory I am totally isolated from the leg as I've had no issues with lighting up on filler and shocking myself. The carbon fiber is non conductive, and additionally I am insulated from the socket by the silicone liner.

I guess what I'm saying is I would have to be in a real pickle to provide any place for the knee to provide a complete circuit to run the juice through. I spoke with my leg guy about it, and he has a few others that weld with no issues with one.

The stools however continually troll me as I have limited range of motion from a seated position to try and bend over. Chairs aren't so bad, but they have a large footprint underneath them.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
GreinTime

Isosceles would be the correct spelling there amigo.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

GreinTime wrote:Isosceles would be the correct spelling there amigo.

Ah, thanks! You're right, triangle...

SINEd,

Steve S
GreinTime

Soh Cah Toa my friend.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

Off on a Tangent, already?
GreinTime

Just trying to make sure we're all square man.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

If only the "Twilight" movies had kids picking "Side adjacent" vs. "Side opposite"...

Can't interest the kids if there's no vampires involved.
GreinTime

Or sex. Sex sells man. That's how they explain positive and negative camber at the school. "If Amber is laying on her back, and your looking at her legs, knees together is negative camber, because that's bad. If they're open, that's positive camber, because you're getting laid."
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Sexy vampires.

The stool with the bicycle seat is actually not equillateral, but that was not really by design. I made the first leg and decided to change the other two to have their bend a little lower so that ended up setting the first leg out a little futher.

I'll have to work on a hydraulic one next so he can just lower himself down and pick up his errant peices that he drops. I guess we could always strap him to one of those inversion tables that I see the old guy on TV advertising, then he could just flip himself upside down and pick them up. Come to think of it, that might be a good idea for doing some the of pipe work that I've been tasked with lately. I might even sneak in a nap. :) Should help my aching back too. What channel was that on again? :)

Len
Last edited by Braehill on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Len,

I've set up an "inversion table" more than once for a "stand on your head" weld. Once, specifically, on an outer-vessel head repair at the curb-side support knee on an LHY trailer.

I damn near fell asleep waiting for it to cool to interpass temperature....

Steve S