What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:28 am

First "real" project I worked on for my brothers plow.

Not the most beautiful thing but gets the job done.

Last edited by Onekeyskunk on Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Looks great.
That'll make life easier!
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i remember dragging them around in that past when we
plowed ( glad we gave that up).
that would have been a real back
saver..
nice job
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Looking good :)

I used to have one for my plow too - then I got lazy and decided to have two trucks so I can leave the plow on all winter :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Thanks guys!

I remember a very cold Minnesota night last year trying to help him mount it to the truck and nothing working right. He can now mount up in under 5 minutes.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Wait till you get really lazy and mount a little scissor lift for the tail part so it can line right up effortlessly :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

MinnesotaDave wrote:Wait till you get really lazy and mount a little scissor lift for the tail part so it can line right up effortlessly :D
I did think about incorporating a hydraulic jack into it for raising and lowering that part, but the difference of height was minimal enough to not have to.

Just happy it works for him.. and holds the weight of that plow :lol:
motox

my vote goes to the two truck theory
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I'd suggest it just quit f-ing snowing already. I'm sure they have jobs that I can do closer to the equator.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

In Australia we have to travel to the mountains to see snow.
motox

snow is the ultimate FOUR LETTER word
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:12 am

That is one slick little dolly, and your brother is lucky to have you there to help him!
Braehill wrote:I'd suggest it just quit f-ing snowing already. I'm sure they have jobs that I can do closer to the equator.

Len
Not to be the fun killer, but we may be without a choice in the matter here in California, and if we don't get any more snow this season, it will become the worst drought in recorded history, and it's already in 2nd place!

BTW, not all of California is like LA...check your maps, the highest mountain in the lower 48 is in the Southern Sierra-Nevada mountains, at 14,505ft. or 4,421M, Mt Whitney is foremost among the 13 named "Fourteeners" in the state! Sorry Colorado, but we've got you beat by a handful of feet ;)

I used to plow up the hill near Lake Tahoe for the county as an alternate, that meant I took the crappiest days, which I always enjoyed after growing up in Hawaii. Seriously, after 35 years in the tropics it was fun to be out in the blizzards working the backroads, especially when it was dumping those big flakes and the power was out at 3 in the morning and no one was around.

Our crew did the county roads, so we never had to worry about the State highway where most of the flat-land idiots would be doing their spin cycles, LOL! Of course there were tons of vacation rentals up there, and I can't tell you how many times you'd see folks driving up the cleared State highway without chains on in a snow zone, only to turn off onto a county road that obviously wasn't plowed yet and would just get out of their cars, abandon their vehicles and leave the doors open and walk away somewhere? Who does that? It blew my mind, but our old Chevy 20's were dedicated plows with transmissions always in 4WD, the chains only leaving the tires for the rubber to get changed, so I took a few doors off peoples cars without a second thought. I wasn't going in the ditch because of their stupidity.

Anyways, sorry about the long winded revelry, I just fell into a trance of fond memories...tearing a brand new door off a mini-van is just plain fun when the folks left you no choice, and no courtesy.

Thanks for the share of your build, Aloha...Chuck
Hood Time is a Good Time!

Avatar photo is from 1992, on Maui.

Stirmind wrote:That is one slick little dolly, and your brother is lucky to have you there to help him!
Thanks!

UPs' transcon rail line through the Donner pass is a hell of a thing in the snow. 24 hours a day just to keep it open.

weldin mike 27 wrote:UPs' transcon rail line through the Donner pass is a hell of a thing in the snow. 24 hours a day just to keep it open.
That's one line I'd love to hop, I don't think they use that leg for Amtrak anymore, but if they did it would be a spectacular view, and worth the ticket just to see the work that made it possible to get through those passes. The giant snow-blower they use to clear the tracks is a marvel of modern technology for sure! I'm going to look and see if Amtrak goes through that way or if I'd have to hobo it to ride the rails on that route. Good thought!

Evidently The California Zephyr runs through there.

weldin mike 27 wrote:Evidently The California Zephyr runs through there.
I saw that, I thought it was strictly a cargo line, but the Zephyr No. 6 is called tha "Capitol Corridor" and takes you from San Francisco all the way to NYC, and shows numerous highlights on the trip from the Sierra-Nevada's, to the Rockies and all sorts of great stuff...I'm going to have to make that run one of these years and maybe buy some clunker to beat to death and make friends while fixing it along the way home. I think it would make a great adventure.

Sorry to take your Awesome plow-dolly thread so far afield, maybe on my way back across the country you can weld something to keep my clunker going Onekeyskunk, it would be awesome to stop and meet allot of the folks I've me online on a cross country trek, so I'll keep you up to date :D

I'm from Australia, and I plan to visit the US one day for a combination welding tips forum and train spotting tour.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:I'm from Australia, and I plan to visit the US one day for a combination welding tips forum and train spotting tour.
I have first dibs on you. 8-)
-Jonathan

Stirmind wrote:Sorry to take your Awesome plow-dolly thread so far afield, maybe on my way back across the country you can weld something to keep my clunker going Onekeyskunk, it would be awesome to stop and meet allot of the folks I've me online on a cross country trek, so I'll keep you up to date :D
Quite alright!

It's been nice to read what this thread has entertained and the comments are well appreciated as I am just a beginner at welding.

@Superiorwelding no problem. I only charge $25/h plus room and food, so im a bargain, really.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:@Superiorwelding no problem. I only charge $25/h plus room and food, so im a bargain, really.
All right! I will try not to work you very hard.
-Jonathan

That's the discount holiday rate. Aussie's are a precious commodity, don't you know. Lolol