What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Work is slow so I made this table for the wife. Just a bunch of scrap I got laying around. I like doing it though. I can't stand distressing the wood though. :twisted:
Attachments
20150119_172131.jpg
20150119_172131.jpg (46.08 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
20150119_172110.jpg
20150119_172110.jpg (51.24 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Sweet!

If Momma ain't happy with that, get her an appointment with the eye doctor.

Steve S
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

good to keep mama happy!!
awesome table..
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Very nice!!!
My sweetheart is asking me when I'm planing on building one for her. :)
snowman
    Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:06 pm

Sweet table!
Get thrown down 9 times get up 10
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

The different size expanded metal in the top is a nice touch, gives a kind of visual texture.

Do you finish the feet any further? I don't mean to be critical... some more surface area in the feet would prevent it from gouging a wood floor or snagging carpet.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

wheels is an option since the table is hefty.
i put wheels on the tables since they are
going to be sitting on hardwood floors.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder

Artie F. Emm wrote:The different size expanded metal in the top is a nice touch, gives a kind of visual texture.

Do you finish the feet any further? I don't mean to be critical... some more surface area in the feet would prevent it from gouging a wood floor or snagging carpet.
I make sure I round the raw edge of the feet real good so they won't scratch or catch carpet. I make it a point to carefully grind off any weld bbs or any edges that might cause someone to cut themselves. I used to build catwalks for fast lube centers and was told by a lawyer to make sure to take off any corners or anything that anyone could hurt themselves on. He called it normal precautionary measures so that if their was ever an incident, it could be shown that every attempt was made to diminish hazards. It limits exposure in a lawsuit but I also do it as a part of craftsmanship.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I had a kid ask once in class why I took the time to deburr all of the edges I had cut and chamfered the holes for the head bolts and what not in an engine block. So, in a scholarly effort, I had him try and roll the engine over from 90° on the hoist to flat (installed) position by the edge of the block on the side I hadn't deburred. 4 cut fingers and an extended lecture from the teacher about teaching him the value of a smooth edge myself, he figured out why :)
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
exnailpounder

GreinTime wrote:I had a kid ask once in class why I took the time to deburr all of the edges I had cut and chamfered the holes for the head bolts and what not in an engine block. So, in a scholarly effort, I had him try and roll the engine over from 90° on the hoist to flat (installed) position by the edge of the block on the side I hadn't deburred. 4 cut fingers and an extended lecture from the teacher about teaching him the value of a smooth edge myself, he figured out why :)
Bravo!! I love stories like that. The world is packed full of people who don't believe the stove is hot when you tell them and have to find out for themselves :roll: I had the great fortune of working with a guy who was a nuclear tech on a submarine, couldn't tell me in what capacity, and was involved in nuclear power for awhile. I learned alot from him, mostly that the pride of workmanship is at the tip of your fingers for a man who works for a living. I was always a perfectionist but he made me better and I will always be thankful for his knowledge. Those guys that learn the hard way always crack me up....I was married twice...does that count? :P
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Remember, if know a sharp edge is there, and may cut you, someone else ABSOLUTELY will cut themselves.
exnailpounder

weldin mike 27 wrote:Remember, if know a sharp edge is there, and may cut you, someone else ABSOLUTELY will cut themselves.
Amen Brother. Its a shame that common sense is not so common anymore. I guess we need to protect people from themselves. I have been bitten in the ass by shortcutting a few times in my life so I don't take any chances anymore. I don't want to pay someone 10 million dollars because they cut their finger on a BB or edge. 8-)
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Nice looking project! Great design! I just have to accept the fact that I am a crass old Boomer with no sense of 'taste' or 'style'. My idea of 'looks great' for what I think belongs in my house is something is either free or cost me next to nothing. Maybe that is why I am still single? Sigh ...

It's like I tell these women that I meet: I am housebroken, but not domesticated.

Take care!
Artie F. Emm

exnailpounder wrote:...take off any corners...I also do it as a part of craftsmanship.
I'm with ya, reminds me of 2x6 plank picnic tables my Dad built when I was a kid. I never noticed he had cut the corners off at 45* until one day a neighbor kid ran dead-on into the table, right where the corner MIGHT have been. The kid wasn't happy but got a blunted impact rather than a vertical indent to the forehead.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Boomer63

Artie F. Emm wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:...take off any corners...I also do it as a part of craftsmanship.
I'm with ya, reminds me of 2x6 plank picnic tables my Dad built when I was a kid. I never noticed he had cut the corners off at 45* until one day a neighbor kid ran dead-on into the table, right where the corner MIGHT have been. The kid wasn't happy but got a blunted impact rather than a vertical indent to the forehead.

YUP! One thing my students are learning, is the rounding, grinding and finishing process can take longer than the welding and fabrication process. BUT! Finishing is a part of professionalism! Nothing leaves my shop unless it is completed at a professional level! Otherwise, what am I teaching my students? I had another instructor comment on a repair project that I had the students do. This instructor seemed impressed that we did such a high quality job. I replied: "Well, I don't want to teach half-assed, and they didn't spend money to learn half-assed!"
exnailpounder

Boomer...I hear ya...there are far too many hacks in the world who show up basically for a paycheck. I remained good friends with my HS shop/welding teacher until he passed away. He saw that I loved metals and building things but what he saw the most was I liked having to think! What the hell has happened to our world? You can't even find a competent person to run a cash register at Lowes anymore. I'm happy to hear you are doing it right. Far too many teachers along with many other professions have gotten lazy about things and they pass that on to their students. I have never heard a craftsman say "thats good enough". Us oldtimers owe it to the yoots to show them the way!
GreinTime

A yoot?!?! What the hell is a yoot?!!!?!
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Artie F. Emm

(A reference to the movie "My Cousin Vinny" in which two young guys traveling through the Deep South are wrongly accused of a murder. They hire their cousin, Vinny, to defend them despite the fact that he is not quite an attorney. During his presentation to the judge Vinny, who has a strong Italian-American accent, refers to the guys as "da two yoots", which translates from Brooklyn-ese as "the two youths".)

The girlfriend's testimony at the end is classic!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Yep,

We're training some of da yoots now.

Despite the utility purpose of the stuff I work on, we make a point of rounding every corner and easing every edge. This serves two purposes. It reduces injuries and related loud swearing/tool throwing in the shop, and it makes the paint/finished product look better. Paint will thin at a corner due to surface tension, and the sharper the corner or edge, the thinner the coating. A sharp 90* will show thin with four coats, where we achieve millage on the flats with two.

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

True about common sense, but I was referring to simple inattention in daily life that leads to accidents. You simply don't look every place you put your hands and you shouldn't have to. My pet peeves is damaged wooden handrails, (inside ones) left to splinter some person (usually a child) as the walk along.
Boomer63

Thank you exnailpounder!!!
GreinTime

Doesn't the judge ask him what the hell a yoot is? I knew that it was from My Cousin Vinny lol
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
danielbuck
    Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm

I like the mix of metal and wood. That's how I make my tables as well, majority of the structure is metal, and the actual flat table surface is wood with a metal border. I dig that look.

Nice job :)
exnailpounder

danielbuck wrote:I like the mix of metal and wood. That's how I make my tables as well, majority of the structure is metal, and the actual flat table surface is wood with a metal border. I dig that look.

Nice job :)
Thanks alot bro. I enjoy the art side of metals. Work has been slow lately so I get to spend more time at the tables and I am thinking about pursuing it full time.