What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

We had some floor work done and it moved a scale tank out of its original position so I had to make all new piping to match the new location. Also took this time to get rid of the regular 316 threaded pipe that use to make up the manifold.

Matching the existing frame work and drops is always interesting...lol I also made some framing out of 2" x 1" to properly support the new manifold and scale display etc...

I'm the only one who does this work, I don't think my coworkers have any idea how much work or how much time this takes. They just think I throw this stuff together.... Use to pay a contractor $100/hr for it.
Attachments
In place....
In place....
IMG_20150209_010914910.jpg (97.58 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
New manifold...22 joints!
New manifold...22 joints!
IMG_20150208_190423929_HDR.jpg (41.91 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Bosses can also be like that. You'll be done soon right ??
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:Bosses can also be like that. You'll be done soon right ??
I know that type, but if Rick_H has the same bosses that paid $100/hr (with a minimum hours charge, no doubt), he probably doesn't have that issue.

I do relate to his " :roll: " about the other hands not recognizing the planning, fitting, preparation, and skill involved. I'm allotted much more time (and often on T&M) for my process-pipe, high-vacuum, and ASME welds than they're allowed for simple non-code pipe. Several co-workers "may" be under the impression I have it easy.

Granted, I never seem to be in a hurry, but that's intentional. No one yells at the dentist to hurry his work and get to the x-ray, right?

:lol:

Steve S
    Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:12 am

"Rick_H" Matching the existing frame work and drops is always interesting...lol
Ain't that always the case...I would get my hack'n'tack foreman's eyes bulging out when I unbolted anything that looked to have a bind on it, no matter how minor it looked. After having numerous drops, manifolds and even pup pieces jump out at me, I learned never to trust any work that wasn't my own, or at least a buddy of mine from the same job and we were just swapping something new out.

I just loved it when the last hand to assemble the section used bull pins to get a flange bolted up...good times.

Of course it was rare that I worked with anything under 6" sch. 40, but even a 1/2" line is enough to tear a finger off if there is the chance for it to bite you.

BTW, Very nice looking work, thanks for sharing...Aloha, Chuck
Hood Time is a Good Time!

Avatar photo is from 1992, on Maui.
Rick_H

You guys will love this...so one of my counterparts asked me to shorten the one end up 1" so the electrician didn't have to rebend the conduit for the original electrical drop.

My answer... Are you f*****g kidding? Um NO!
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Rick_H

Stirmind wrote:
Ain't that always the case...I would get my hack'n'tack foreman's eyes bulging out when I unbolted anything that looked to have a bind on it, no matter how minor it looked. After having numerous drops, manifolds and even pup pieces jump out at me, I learned never to trust any work that wasn't my own, or at least a buddy of mine from the same job and we were just swapping something new out.

I just loved it when the last hand to assemble the section used bull pins to get a flange bolted up...good times.

Of course it was rare that I worked with anything under 6" sch. 40, but even a 1/2" line is enough to tear a finger off if there is the chance for it to bite you.

Yeah I've been told I'm too anal, or you just like to make that stuff when I remake pipes that have been tweeked. A trip clover connection is pretty forgiving but I hate pulling on pipes and fighting a clamp.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Stirmind wrote:

I learned this lesson early on as well, only after unbolting the piece and smacking me in the hand. Got lucky nothing got broke a s I didn't go flying off the ladder. Was a good lesson, never assume the guy before you gave a ish about those that work on it later.

Wes917 wrote: I learned this lesson early on as well, only after unbolting the piece and smacking me in the hand. Got lucky nothing got broke a s I didn't go flying off the ladder. Was a good lesson, never assume the guy before you gave a ish about those that work on it later.
Yup, I actually prided myself in even just using never-seize. I even brought my own after someone kept taking it home(don't some folks take the strangest things home? I'd never risk my job over a $5 dollar jar of goop!). It's tough enough to get the nuts loose on painted up bolts, but you add the rust we often combated on the water front in Hawaii, and you could waste half an hour on one Grade 8 stud because obviously we couldn't use a torch or grinder to take off anything fuel related...

I may have wasted a few rags, and turned a few good shirts into rags, but it still helps me sleep at night :D

BTW, I'm also glad you didn't get wounded learning that one. You're just never the same after you see a guy lose a finger, and I'll never forget how loud that scream was...[shudder] :shock:

What are we talking about here? A pipe springing back when it is cut or unbolted?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:What are we talking about here? A pipe springing back when it is cut or unbolted?
Yep. It happens.

I was blessed Thursday to disassemble a safety manifold I built five years ago. I took the extra time to study the numbers on the drawing, and found errors... The hold-off for the rupture disks and safeties were fit for Grafoil gaskets, but flexitallic spiral-wound were called out. This required a 1/8" adjustment.

When I pulled the rupture disks, they "just" slid out, as they should for their compressed thickness. I actually impressed myself for the extra effort I put in. NOTHING moved when I took it apart.

OCD can pay off.

Steve S

Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:Awesome. http://youtu.be/go3Nd6H3M1E
Geez how'd they think that was going to end?

They held the other end down with an excavator, why not this guys end.
Rick_H

Wow...dude was lucky.

Here's a few more pics from yesterday, ran about another 60ft of pipe.
Attachments
This is what happens when you work on a line that has red food color in it...lol
This is what happens when you work on a line that has red food color in it...lol
IMG_20150214_211314850_HDR.jpg (58.81 KiB) Viewed 950 times
Had to swap bottles as my purge was getting weak....
Had to swap bottles as my purge was getting weak....
IMG_20150215_242325137_HDR.jpg (60.61 KiB) Viewed 950 times
1.50" 316L
1.50" 316L
IMG_20150215_242412991.jpg (41.51 KiB) Viewed 950 times
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Wes917 wrote:
weldin mike 27 wrote:Awesome. http://youtu.be/go3Nd6H3M1E
Geez how'd they think that was going to end?
LMAO!!! It's funny now, but I can recall having to do stupid shit...not that bad, but stupid none the less, just to keep my job. I Worked for a South African "treasure hunter" that wanted a bigger crane welded to his "research" vessel and when I took it off another vessel, they were lifting the boat out of the water they had so much tension on the crane!

Yanked it clear of me as I knew where to stand (and jump over the side if it swung), but I was just glad it didn't tip the crane on it's ass as I'm sure that jackass would have found a way to make it my fault, even though no one would listen to me.

Funny thing is the crane was so heavy it was a factor in the sinking of it 2 miles from Christmas island...what a nightmare that rekindled just now, thanks! :D