What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

So this is one of those sliding gates, you have two poles on one side, (Gap between the poles is 30% of gate length) with rollers bolted to the poles.
So this gate is 24' long. It's all 1 7/8" by 1/8" wall.
So the main frame, and then I'll get all the internal crossmembers cut/coped/and smashed.

All I'm doing is building the gate.
The guy will get the poles driven in the ground, and the rollers bolted on.

Enjoy the pics.
~John

I'll get a pic of it installed soon.

Thanks for watching.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Captain Versatile strikes again!

Great work. So much variety in what you do.

Kym
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

nice trick flattening the ends of the cross braces!
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

As always John - really nice build & excellent step by step photos - great scenery too. Now you've used the 211i a bit how do you like it - I keep looking at them myself - torn between that & an Rtech unit.

motox wrote:nice trick flattening the ends of the cross braces!
craig
I can't take credit for it.

All I did was lay it out, and weld.

Thanks.

noddybrian wrote:As always John - really nice build & excellent step by step photos - great scenery too. Now you've used the 211i a bit how do you like it - I keep looking at them myself - torn between that & an Rtech unit.
Thanks noddy.
I really like the 211i. Great for mig, and sticks decently as well.
Its heavy and has no handle to carry it tho.

I should write up a complete review someday.

MosquitoMoto wrote:Captain Versatile strikes again!

Great work. So much variety in what you do.

Kym
Hey thanks. Much more to come. Hopefully my phone doesn't run out of data storage.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I noticed that too, and I've seen it done in other applications. Do you flatten in a vice, or press?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

You'll notice once it's installed, the flattened tubes are (or should be) intended to serve in tension. If these tubes were to take compression loads, the design would likely have called for them to be coped.

This is not universally true, depending on expected loads, but it's something to keep in mind when designing your own.

Another fine project, John! I do like the photo breakdown when you share a project.

Steve S
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

No doubt about you John. Your photos almost make up a detailed plan set.

Thanks for all the efforts. Looks like a very well put together project.

But wait! Where's the snow-capped mountains in the background???? C'mon. Can't fool us. Did you have to photoshop the snow out? ( ;) )

BTW: How's the new truck going?

Trev
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc

Otto Nobedder wrote:You'll notice once it's installed, the flattened tubes are (or should be) intended to serve in tension. If these tubes were to take compression loads, the design would likely have called for them to be coped.

This is not universally true, depending on expected loads, but it's something to keep in mind when designing your own.

Another fine project, John! I do like the photo breakdown when you share a project.

Steve S
I agree on the tension loads. This is adequate for this gate.

Coping would definitely look better and be much stronger tho.

Thanks!

Artie F. Emm wrote:
I noticed that too, and I've seen it done in other applications. Do you flatten in a vice, or press?
Just to clarify, I didn't do any of the coping or smashing. I just picked the stuff up from the fencing place.
He designed it to his standards. I'm sure he had a press.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

TRACKRANGER wrote:No doubt about you John. Your photos almost make up a detailed plan set.

Thanks for all the efforts. Looks like a very well put together project.

But wait! Where's the snow-capped mountains in the background???? C'mon. Can't fool us. Did you have to photoshop the snow out? ( ;) )

BTW: How's the new truck going?

Trev
We haven't had snow on the mountains for months.
We do have summer here, every now and then. :)

Truck?

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Back in the 1980s I got into building these types of gates for fence contractors; my trick was that I would build them on site. As you indicated, there is a space between the gate posts, and the gate must reflect this 'storage'. Some of the gates that I built were monsters, with a length of over 60' and up to 10' heights. All built out of that galvanized garbage which makes me sick to weld. I had an expensive tube notcher with changeable dies for handling different sizes of tube. I needed lots of stands to keep everything level. But if I built them correctly, I could tip the finished product right off my stands and onto the rollers.

When I first got into this, I figured that to save weight on the longer gates, they would prefer a lighter tube; but the opposite is true. The larger the gate, the more structural material you want! Also, the knee braces would go UP from the bottom rail to the opening ... rather than the other way.

Funny thing was, I would charge as much for a 8' tall gate as for a 2' tall gate; as far as labor goes. This used to piss off the contractors, but if you look at it, there is the same number of welds!

I DO NOT miss doing those things!
Gary