What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
taha
    Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:38 pm

Hi,

I want to take some closeup welding videos, is it possible with a phone cam?
My phone is OnePlus if it makes any difference.

Thanks
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Anything is possible, just throw money at it :D .

Seriously I'd put a #10 lense over the camera and give it a go.

Whether or not you would get clear close up vids in the quality that you want is anyone's guess.
How many mega pixels is your phone?
The camera may try and focus on the lense and all youll get is a green blur,nor it will give you what you want.
Let the forum know how it goes.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

I'll be giving this a shot in the near future with just a phone camera and an old helmet lens.

If the phone camera doesn't work, happily my job means I have access to all sorts of other camera gear...maybe an action cam might do it?

No real interest beyond 'can I make this work' but it will be fun to see how it turns out.

Kym
682bear
    Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:59 pm

If you are using high frequency, you may fry your phone...

-Bear

682bear wrote:If you are using high frequency, you may fry your phone...

-Bear

Good point, bear. Best I use my daughter's phone. Kinda kills two birds with one stone that way...

Kym
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

-Bear
I actually have fried my phone twice. Once by having it on my welding table. The second time I had it in my pocket and forgot to hook up the ground and the HF found me and the phone. It didn't completely disable the phone but it messed up the digitizer which, I am told, is the thingy that allows you to navigate with your fingers. The HF screws up my shop radio when I spark up so you KNOW it can't be good for phones.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

I fried my auto focus on my galaxy S4 taking arc video. Didn't know better. But the charging Jack died anyway so gotta pay $100 insurance to replace it. It's out of warranty. So be sure to put a 100% UV filler in front of the camera lens

I think you guys have saved me from ruining a phone - thanks!

Always have my phone nearby while welding but sitting on a wooden bench a little way away. Had never thought about the potential of HF to fry a phone but of course it makes sense now. That was close...I have been considering trying some filming with my phone for awhile now. Not so much now.

Kym
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

MMMM,
Good point.
I've been building an artsy candle holder and noticed that my new shop radio drops out when I strike an arc with tig or mig, old radio wasnt effected.
So no phone videos for me either, might have to keep the phone further away.
What does Jody use?
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
682bear
    Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:59 pm

MosquitoMoto wrote:

-Bear

Good point, bear. Best I use my daughter's phone. Kinda kills two birds with one stone that way...

Kym
LOL! I can relate to that!

-Bear
Harry72
    Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:59 am

Yep I've fried my step counter thingo, forgot it was in my pocket and had the TIG anaconda near it while working sitting down... lucky it was a freebee from a health program at work ;)

I think if the sensitive equipment is isolated it should be fine after all there's plenty of welding vids about.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I intentionally laid my work phone on top of my weld machine today. No luck still works. I phone 5
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote:I intentionally laid my work phone on top of my weld machine today. No luck still works. I phone 5
I sometimes consider doing that...and I work for myself.

Kym

Interesting, I have used a point and shoot and my cell phone taking stills and video, no problems
Richard
Website
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

LtBadd wrote:Interesting, I have used a point and shoot and my cell phone taking stills and video, no problems
I had taken a bunch of video and then started noticing that the phone had trouble focusing, esp up close. Did some research and it seems the ccd/cmos sensor can be damaged by the welding arc light

soutthpaw wrote:
LtBadd wrote:Interesting, I have used a point and shoot and my cell phone taking stills and video, no problems
I had taken a bunch of video and then started noticing that the phone had trouble focusing, esp up close. Did some research and it seems the ccd/cmos sensor can be damaged by the welding arc light
Let me clarify, the pics and video were not close ups of the arc, Only thing I have experienced is a vertical line in video using DC TIG welding
Richard
Website