What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Ok, I got a cheap welder in June. I really liked it. I taught myself how to weld so fast. So, in June, I am getting a Miller Bobcat 225 EFI. Now, I want to make a cart for it. I know the welder is 40 inches long, by 20 wide. I got 12 feet of, 12 foot long, 5 inch wide, 2 inch inside, rectangle tubing today. It is a bit less than 1/4 inch thick. So, my question is, should I make the cart, a bit larger than the welder, and just make sure that the wheels go under the edge, of the welder location?

I got 12 feet, because it was a freaking great price. I spent less than $140 on it.

So, what I thought, was, I could make the cart, 44 inches long, thus giving me 2 inches extra space, on the front and back, and 24 inches wide, thus giving me two extra inches on each side. Then, I got some rectangle stuff today. Steel. I was going to put a bar, on the top and bottom of the left and right. Then, use poles to make a handle. I have the wheels. Two fixed and three swivel. I think they are 6 inches. Sold tires. I am new to welding. So, I thought I would ask people who know. I don't want to cut the metal and then realize I can not use it. They had to cut it into two, 6 foot pieces, so it would fit into my moms SUV. haha But, that would still allow me two 44 inches pieces, and three 14 inch. Front, back and middle of the thing.

Then, I guess, would I even have to put steel on the bottom, or would the stuff already there work?

Also, I am getting that welder, one, because my dad had one. Back of his truck. He died in 03 and his parents came and had his body flown to the place he was born. Without even telling my brother or I he had died. haha I would love to have his welder. Also, we do not have the power here, to run the welders I wanted. So, I thought, I could spend thousands on a generator alone, or I could get the Bobcat.

I have my Bobcat 225 on a trailer, so I can't really give any advice on the dimensions for a cart that sounds like you'll be using around the shop. However, one thing to be careful of with the Bobcats...in the manual there's a drawing of the recommended base for mounting the rig in a trailer or on a truck. It's very precise as to where the crossmembers should go. It says that the welder needs the support in those areas.

Miller makes several versions of running gear for the Bobcat 225. You might get some ideas from looking at their webpage for them. Go to this link https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/w ... ven-welder and then click on the "Accessories" link and it'll take you to the page.

Hope this helps.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Glowzinski

Yes, I had looked at that, but, as with most things, after you said something, I actually saw it. haha Seems that at most, they have a bar on the very top. It also seems like there are things all over the side, that you need to either use or open when it is required. That gives me another idea. I mean, I am only moving it from a shed, to our back yard. So, what if I were to make two things, that went like, half way up, on both sides of the welder? Then, I could have it so that once I got it to the location I wanted, I could unhook the two side parts and just have the welder sitting on a rolling cart? Seems like that would work. But, as I said, I am 100% new. So, perhaps what I said sounds crazy.

As long as, when I move the thing, it does not move around (though, at over 500 ponds, I find the thing moving hard to believe) I will be good. So, I guess the goal is, make something that can hold the weight of the welder. Make the thing be able to move the welder around, outside. Make sure that the welder will not be able to move or fall off of the cart. Make sure that you can clear the sides of the thing before you use it.

You were very helpful. Thank you!
Glowzinski

So, thinking, and I may have written this. haha I have something to do, so, I am moving fast paced. Maybe, I will make a cart, that will have a piece of each side, coming, two or three inches up. But, have hinges on the top, that has a part that goes over, say half the welder on the other side. I could hook them, with something, to the bars in the front and back. Then, when I wanted to used the welder, I would have that for moving it and I could just unhook and let them bend down, so that the bar was only coming two or three inches up. Seems as if that would make it safe for moving and welding.

Here's a pic of the base I built for mine when I had it mounted on my utility trailer, before I put it on a dedicated trailer. The base is built to the Miller drawing, except I added 6" to each end, so I'd have easy access to the bolt holes. It's built from 3" X 1 1/2" channel.

Since all you're doing is rolling the Bobcat from the shed to the yard, you might save time and money by just building a base with no side rails and putting fixed wheels on one end and swivel casters (6" or so) on the other so you could steer it. That way you'd have easy access to the side panels for service, etc. Brakes on at least one set of wheels would probably be good. :)

Hope this helps,
Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
ProStar O/A torch
Glowzinski

Ok, so how about this? Remember, the stuff I got is 5 inches wide and two inches deep.
Attachments
Untitled-7.gif
Untitled-7.gif (33.49 KiB) Viewed 2038 times

I think if it was me, I'd just build the Miller base, using your material, and put the two fixed wheels on the generator end, and two of the swivel wheels on the control end and call it good. With the wheels at the ends of the stringers, the wheel in the middle seems like overkill to me. Not sure I'd even put a handle on it, I'd just push on the rig. It's stout. I would be careful to get the crossmembers where Miller calls for them, though.

Be sure to give us pics when it's done.

Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
ProStar O/A torch
Glowzinski

I find it very interesting, that Miller has that design. They and you know more than me about that. haha But, it seems to me, with 5 inch wide tubing, my idea would be better. I just thing it interesting, that they have nothing in the middle. BUT, it is for the location of the bars in the middle. I see one is in more than the other. I mean, if you and Miller says this is the way to go, than this is what I will do. I guess I will not use the fifth wheel. Interesting. However, I am a bit of a moron. haha I can not figure out the size the thing is supposed to be. I am sure, tomorrow, when I am all fresh, I will figure it out. You have been very helpful.
Glowzinski

I will just ask you my questions. haha You seem to know of what you speak. So, that picture. What is the exact length and width? Also, what are those black dots?

Glowzinski wrote:I find it very interesting, that Miller has that design. They and you know more than me about that. haha But, it seems to me, with 5 inch wide tubing, my idea would be better. I just thing it interesting, that they have nothing in the middle. BUT, it is for the location of the bars in the middle. I see one is in more than the other. I mean, if you and Miller says this is the way to go, than this is what I will do. I guess I will not use the fifth wheel. Interesting. However, I am a bit of a moron. haha I can not figure out the size the thing is supposed to be. I am sure, tomorrow, when I am all fresh, I will figure it out. You have been very helpful.
The size is shown in the top drawing in my last post. You'll need to adjust the length of your crossmembers since your material is 5" wide instead of 3" wide. The overall width is 20.500" -- that's the 16.500" between the bolt holes plus the 2.000" on either side to the outside of the stringers. So, 16.500" + 4.00" = 20.500".

The black dots are the bolt holes for mounting the welder. When I built mine, rather than just holes, I drilled the holes and then welded bolts in place from the bottom side so the welder sits down over the bolts. You can do it either way.

Good luck,
Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
ProStar O/A torch
Glowzinski

Makes perfect sense. So, the only thing I have to remember, is that the holes for the bolting, are 22.312 inches away from the other, as far as length goes. Also, if I am to make the thing the same way as Millers version, I would make the gap on the one side 6 inches from the crossbeam and on the other, 10 inches. Also, it seems that the holes must have a width of 16.5. I know you wrote all that. But, me saying it and writing it, makes my brain like, filter it. haha You have been super helpful. Now, I get to weld! haha Though, hmm I am not sure if the cheap thing I have can weld the metal I got. I may just have to wait until June.