What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
varekai
    Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:03 pm

Just thinking out loud but if it was possible, I'd flip every other truss to alternate stresses on the equipment. provided the equipment is built to do that... also if they aren't using the whole 16', maybe run the truss a few feet in from one side or the other.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

varekai wrote:Just thinking out loud but if it was possible, I'd flip every other truss to alternate stresses on the equipment. provided the equipment is built to do that... also if they aren't using the whole 16', maybe run the truss a few feet in from one side or the other.
That might help. But there’s an automated truss stacker outside that needs trusses to come out as consistently as possible. So they do their best to feed the truss in exactly the same way every time. So yeah, pretty tough on that roller.

Here’s some of the stuff they make.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

my brother got hooked up with some fella who uses spent propane tanks of all sizes to make rollers for farms. Brought a 20 foot tank to the farm, mounted the arms and cut a little 10x10 hole and filled it with concrete. After the tractor pulls the roller over the farm, the ground is FLATTTTT and no stones...either drove them back into mother earth or crushed them. I really hope you discover the problem with the roller.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Your going to need to grind out a bevel to make sure your getting full thickness penetration. Any lack of fusion is just going to leave a stress point.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

This is what $36,000 US of roll looks like. They welded these quite a lot more than the old ones.

ImageImageImage

BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

holy enchalatas...been waiting for you to get back on that roller repair. Have you gotten hold of that old one to investigate? And just wondering if the skinny kid came already built into the new rollers. :lol:

I could get it, but I’m not sure I want a 5000 lb paperweight rolling around my shop. I’m sure it’s simply a matter of an under welded part. And as soon as it cracks outside, the inside baffle will crack loose as well. And no matter how you weld and reinforce the outside, if the inside baffle is lose, the outside won’t last. If these new ones don’t last I’ll be surprised.

Beats me, I may or may not have heard screaming and kicking from inside the rolls. Hard to tell with a 1” thick wall

Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Even if they built up the size of the fillet on the weld it’s unlikely they ground out a bevel for full penetration. The unwelded root will still lead to cracks.
I have more questions than answers

Josh