What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Goat Driver
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:12 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:Morality is action... the way one conducts oneself with other members of society. Not to be confused with "ethics", the priciples that should determine those actions.

An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife, while a moral man actually won't do it.

Language applies to morality only in how you use it. If I use language to harm you, as lieing at a deposition, that is immoral and unethical.

If I use language to make a point, where no one is harmed in any way, and you choose to feel offense at some word I've selected, that's on you and your judgement system. I refuse to censor my language to suit the whims of a small minority.

I suppose it's useless to point out that I have an extensive vocabulary, and rarely swear for any reason.

Steve S

So in your little world it's not wrong to use profanity that a child can hear or read and then repeat...that does not harm anybody ..huh?..just the child that you taught the profanity to...nice logic.. :roll:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Why shield a child from language?

Please explain this to me.

What is "profanity"? It's a definition YOU have chosen.

THESE words are different for those words, because...

Please explain.

Please explain the difference between an anus and an asshole.

Or a phallus and a dick.

A breast and a titty?

There is no difference, other than some arbitrary, imaginary value YOU place on the words.
Goat Driver

Are you not bothered that your child or someone else's child might be affected by your vulgarity and profanity?
You must think it's funny or amusing to have a child walk around talking like that since you are so pressed to continue to teach everyone that it is okay to speak vulgar and profane.

You just show the rest of the world how inconsiderate you are of others, their children, and your children (if you have any).
Your lack of ability to discern between profane and moral, right and wrong, just goes to show that you have no morals and are part of the problem in our society today.
You don't even care enough about yourself to be moral and stop the profanity....so I am sure you don't care who else or who's child you harm with it. Grow up man, learn some morals and get a little care in your heart for others and for yourself that your profane and immoral language and lifestyle has a negative effect on. ;)

from this boards FAQ

"What are Moderators?
Moderators are individuals (or groups of individuals) who look after the forums from day to day. They have the authority to edit or delete posts and lock, unlock, move, delete and split topics in the forum they moderate. Generally, moderators are present to prevent users from going off-topic or posting abusive or offensive material."

My three grandchildren do not participate here.

This is a site for adults. Are you one?

BTW, I understand these matters quite well. That's why I don't judge people on the words they choose.

Goat Driver, can we agree to disagree?

Your input here is as valuable as any other, and I'd like to see it continue.

Truce?
Goat Driver

Yeah we can call a truce.
BUT..remember this is a public forum and children do get on here and read, including my son (I'm not sure that we will return if the morals here do not change). :( Adult or not does not matter, adults are especially the ones that should be responsible enough to set a good example. Profanity and vulgarity is offensive and belongs in the toilet. ;) 8-)

and FYI..I am closing in on 50 age wise, married for 29 years, 2 sons, etc. :|
foamballer
    Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:57 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:It's unfortunate the gentleman "introduced" himself in a response to my tongue-in-cheek list.
Ahhh fellas, sorry about that. Yes indeed an unfortunate first post !
Otto had it right, I was just adding to his list - and didn't really think it through - a result of too much late night browsing and not enough self analysis. I actually had no idea what a fuss I'd stirred up until I got a "please forgive us for the ripping" PM from "The Management". I would've replied earlier had I known and I'm a bit embarrassed about the 3 pages of thread I managed to hijack in my absence.
Anyway, sorry guys - I'll introduce myself better in a separate thread.
So let's all get back to metal work.

As long as no one expects me to think of children as deserving of some special protection from reality...

Easter Bunny, anyone??

Welcome, foamballer,

I doubt anyone ever joined under such a controversy they were never aware of...

Glad to have you,

In fact, glad you stuck, after what happened...

Steve S
Goat Driver

Otto Nobedder wrote:As long as no one expects me to think of children as deserving of some special protection from reality...

Easter Bunny, anyone??
Nope not asking that.....in fact I do not lie to my children or grandchldren about false idols such as easter bunny, santa, or any others, they know up front that all that is a lie and we do not involve ourselves in that idolatry and lies. ;)

That pleases me.

I don't judge people who choose to tell their children about Santa, the Easter bunny, and the Tooth fairy, but I don't agree. It sets a bad precedent when mom and dad will lie for entertainment.

I take the same attitude with language... Why are some words "adult", especially when their use is usually childish?

Steve S
Goat Driver

Otto Nobedder wrote:That pleases me.

I don't judge people who choose to tell their children about Santa, the Easter bunny, and the Tooth fairy, but I don't agree. It sets a bad precedent when mom and dad will lie for entertainment.

I take the same attitude with language... Why are some words "adult", especially when their use is usually childish?

Steve S
They are not "adult words" only labeled that way, they are profane and vulgar and should not be used by anyone...especially should not be used by "adults" that are supposed to be the leaders of children/others. The word "adult" has been tacked onto different words/areas/practices that really should be labeled as stupid/immoral/vulgar/profane but to make some people feel good about their vulgarity and immorality they label such things as "adults only". It does not lead others and children in the right way just because it is labeled as such. 8-)

The keyword there is,

"Labelled"

Who labelled it? "Adult"? really?

What words do you label as "childish"?

Do you label all words? since words are symbols, do you place symbols on them?

"Adult, Vulgar, Profane, Obscene" These are artificial meanings. Titles. Values created by people who would separate childhood from reality, as with Santa and the Easter bunny.

Your child learns these words on the school bus, unless you have the forethought to teach them at home.

Do you honestly think "poop" and "shit" mean something different?

I have a hard time with a grown man trying to tell me how I should present myself in public.
Goat Driver

Otto Nobedder......You just don't get it do ya? I've tried to explain to you that your language and actions affect others but you justify your immorality/vulgarity by pushing that everyone else does it so others are bound to hear it somewhere....so that makes it okay and you can do it also because you are justified because someone else does it. Talk about childish :roll:

It's sad when everyone cannot enjoy a public site because some cannot keep their vulgar tongue under control...especially someone that is a moderator and supposed adult..

Due to the fact that some cannot refrain from the use of immoral, vulgar, profane language and their evil desire to be sure that everybody else learns their wicked ways..
These are my ears and eyes and I care more about myself and my children than to continue to let the likes of some infiltrate my family with their filth. I do not have to listen/read or subject myself or the ones I care about to things such as this.

I'll be logging out from this forum to never return.

To all the good people here, God bless.
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

The Easter bunny is not real??? Hope Santa is not watching you two!
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.

;)

If the man's world view is that narrow that he thinks I'm attacking him for defending my right to speak, let him take his toys to the next sandbox. He'll recieve no better welcome there, unless he lands on a fundamentalist site.

I'll not tolerate attacks on speech in my personal life, I sure as hell won't take them as a community moderator.

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey

Pehaps ol' ned flanders should park himself in a high purity purge chamber, lest his eyes and ears be tainted by the terrible and immoral ways of us wt&tippsters. Which by the way I think no.one else would ever be too worries about. Hope he didnt read the title intro of Jodys main page where he says Rats Ass.

Sorry to hear that he left. I hope he has a nice day. And best of luck with the boat.

Mick.(i swear alot)
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I'm kinda suprised that someone with such supposed high moral values is even on the internet......
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

"Foamballer"....more like "leadballer"! That first post damn near sunk the ship! lol
Anyways foamballer, welcome to the forum and I look forward to your contributions.

Too bad though about what happened. I was just getting into the aluminium boat rebuilding.

I guess its up to you now Steve. Since you and your potty mouth trashed this project, it is squarely on your shoulders to go out and find an aluminium boat that needs a fixin and get to work on it! lol Oh, and btw, we needs lots of pictures!
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
foamballer
    Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:57 am

I was tempted to reply with a cryptic one-liner, but that doesn't seem to work.
In lieu of some photos maybe this little video I cam across some time back will suffice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kTnogf19FU

It's a shame he didn't have more fight in him. I'd have liked to see more of the project, myself.