What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
wbolden
    Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:06 pm

hello fellow metal gluers I'am new to the forum and would like to congartulate all of you for a very good professional welding forum. I was wondering if any of you have made or know of a resource for making your own welding positioner, any links or and ideas of building one if so please share the info with me and again many thanks in advance.
wbolden
wilbertb1@live.com
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome.

If you study the site thoroughly, you'll find Jody (the author) has several weld positioning devices. Some are the subjects of their own articles, some are only seen in use in various welding videos. Most are both simple and ingenious. I suspect a few are his original ideas (he's quite creative), others are well known.

There is a wealth of information of all kinds here if you have the patience to look at everything.

Steve.
BulldogSV650
    Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:27 am

There is a wealth of information of all kinds here if you have the patience to look at everything.
Thanks for the advice Steve I am also new to the forum.

Clint.
karlevo8
    Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:28 pm

are you thinking of somthing motorised or just a turn table style i have plans for a turntable that could proberly be made motorised
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Here's some plans for a positioning table I found in an old Sears Craftsman welding guide. I've been meaning to make this table for a few years now, but have never gotten around to it.

I had to shrink the picture to put it on here so the file may be too small to read clearly. If anyone wants a copy I'll send it to you full size.
Attachments
Sears welding positioner
Sears welding positioner
smaller.jpg (178.83 KiB) Viewed 10606 times
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
bmiller29455
    Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Can I get a copy of this Welding positioner - homemade?
milt
    Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:25 pm

Got an old engine stand? Lots of basics right there. Make an adjustable angle device under the rotating head with a couple of tabs and a through bolt and you'll have a good tool.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Now THAT'S a really good idea.

If you're going to use it as a base for a positioner, and never actually put a V-8 on it, you can buy a super-cheapo engine stand from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool for very liitle money, and modify it to your heart's content.

Steve
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

I think you might have some issues using the rotating section of the engine stand for welding. they don't rotate all that well. you'd be better of welding the head tube and part of the fork from a bicycle to the stand and welding a plate to the top of the fork where the handlebars would go. they have a thrust/axial combination ball bearing on both ends of the head tube that would make it easy to turn if you have the table angled.
if you were only going to use the table in a mostly-vertical position, you could put a thrust bearing on the engine stand and it'd turn pretty well.
TheExpert

I also get beneficial information from here. This forum provides nice information.
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

Has anybody used the engine stand idea? Does it rotate OK?

Has anybody made the table in the original posting in this thread?

These could be fun projects.
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

I was looking for the same thing. I also saw the one that delray posted. You have to figure in the welding ground as well. There was some innovative ideas for that as well from normal every day items. I found after a bit that if I could not justify motorizing it, I could instead make a torch fixture and manually move the positioner and feed the filler with the other hand.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
    Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:12 am

milt wrote:Got an old engine stand? Lots of basics right there. Make an adjustable angle device under the rotating head with a couple of tabs and a through bolt and you'll have a good tool.
This, Plus Steve's Harbor Freight idea, are gold...for the price of copper! Epic!
Hood Time is a Good Time!

Avatar photo is from 1992, on Maui.
jbevill
    Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:58 pm

Hello delraydella. Can you please send me a full size copy of the Welder's Positioning Table. Also, did the plans for it happen to give a materials list? I actually built one of these things back in the 1980's but had to give it up during a move. I lost the plans for it at the same time. Now that I am able to do some welding again I'm thinking about building another one and have been looking for the plans for quite some time.
    Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:10 am

This is my first post so I'll give this a shot. I saw this about a year ago, keep saying Im going to build one but never seem to get around to it. [urlwelding table: http://youtu.be/_OnF6_V28DM/url]