What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
West Baden Iron
    Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:40 am

Here is my last Christmas present post. I also made this for my brother-in-law who sells the steel. I thought he would really like it sitting on his countertop at work. To me, it seemed like a good idea to display some of what he sells in a creative way. I wish my welds were a little more presentable, but to average person I think they look the part. I don't think most of his customers are going to comment on the undercut or somewhat crappy tie-ins. I do feel I'm getting better and that's why I'm here. I'm thinking of leaving it raw since that's how it is sold (obviously). I had also thought of clearcoating or clear powdercoating it. What's everybody's opinion on it?

Also, what is the reason for the rust forming around the welds? Not enough shielding gas or incorrect torch angle maybe? I'm using a WP 20 torch with a #6 cup. My Lincoln Square Wave 175 did not come with a flowmeter for the argon. I only have a pressure gauge and I'm running about 25 psi at the moment. I realize this is an issue and plan to buy a flowmeter (unless someone corrects me on my misunderstanding) and probably just answered my own question but I haven't found any videos that talk about that quick happening rust around the welds. It has never been that critical in the past but I am wanting to get more serious about my welding and would like to correct this issue along with all my other issues too.

Man I use a lot of apostrophes.

Thanks,

Jason
IMG_1157.JPG
IMG_1157.JPG (102.81 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
IMG_1158.JPG
IMG_1158.JPG (124.64 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
IMG_1159.JPG
IMG_1159.JPG (91.72 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
Lincoln Square Wave 175 Tig/Stick Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

That looks good! You should clearcoat it at least, even if its just a can of spray-on lacquer.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

The brown "soot". not rust can be a sympom of poor gas shielding. You some times see it as your cylinder is running low. Set up some test welds and try with different gas pressures. Just go with the one gives you the best results, however be wary of cranking up too much as that can cause air to be sucked in, causing porosity. And wasting gas as well. Make sure that your torch fittings are secure.

Also ensure that your electrode stick out isn't to excessive. I use no more than about 3 or 4 mm. Unless you have a gas lense. If you need a flow metre, you can buy one that you slip on the end of the torch, check the pressure then slip off again. I dont imagine they would be very expensive .

Mick.
Last edited by weldin mike 27 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hey

Heres a link for a flow meter/gas checker. It says for mig but they work for tig too.

http://weldingdirect.com/gasflowchecker.html

Mick
West Baden Iron

delraydella wrote:That looks good! You should clearcoat it at least, even if its just a can of spray-on lacquer.
Thanks. I agree with you. I'll probably clearcoat with laquer. I thought I had some clear powder, but I was mistaking. By the time I get some here and try to powdercoat, I think I'll be out of time.

Thanks,

Jason
West Baden Iron

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hey

Heres a link for a flow meter/gas checker. It says for mig but they work for tig too.

http://weldingdirect.com/gasflowchecker.html

Mick
Thanks Mick. I was not aware of a tool like that. I will order one next time I order consumables. I just realized that my gauge was a pressue flow gauge. I have never had the manual but just now found it at lincoln's website. It is showing 9-13 cfh of argon for the 1/16" electrode that I have been welding with. I have been running 25 cfh I guess and not 25 psi. Also, my torch is a WP 9, not 20. Apparently I'm running way too much gas for the size torch, electrode and amperage. I guess it helps to pay attention once in a while. I'll try the lower settings and see what changes it makes to my welds.

Thanks,

Jason

Hey,

I Find that they are an easy way to be sure of your gas flow. Because all gauges are different and read differently . Especially if they are old, worn. Some times a lot of people just turn the gas on and fiddle with the adjustments untill they get a decent weld . Not a great way to do it if you are paying for your gas. Hope it works. All things aside, your actual welds look good. One thing i try is a straight sided cup, i think an #8, to help the gas flow more smoothly.

Mick
West Baden Iron

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hey,

I Find that they are an easy way to be sure of your gas flow. Because all gauges are different and read differently . Especially if they are old, worn. Some times a lot of people just turn the gas on and fiddle with the adjustments untill they get a decent weld . Not a great way to do it if you are paying for your gas. Hope it works. All things aside, your actual welds look good. One thing i try is a straight sided cup, i think an #8, to help the gas flow more smoothly.

Mick

Thanks Mick. I will definitely use the flow meter. I'm really just getting serious about tig welding. I've stick and mig welded a lot in the past, but just in the last few years have taken up tig. One thing I have to get immediately it a switch for the torch. All I have at the moment is the foot pedal and trying to weld on my knees or back and hit the pedal is a disaster waiting to happen. I've managed so far, but I'm making it way more difficult that it has to be.

Thanks again,

Jason

Hey,

Cool as. I am actually the opposite, all of our tigs have buttons, i dont even think we own a foot pedal. Maybe its the nature of work, ie climbing over and on things or it coild just be the Australian way. Not sure.

Mick
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Nice project. They should be happy with that.

No foot pedal here either. After welding with a button for so long, using a pedal is really easy with regard to torch control.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.