What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

I built these via a customer supplied drawing. The biggest challenge was that the door openings were beveled. I didn't like the idea of just plastering them over the opening, but opted instead to have them sink halfway into the beveled opening. The second largest challenge was that the top and bottom hinges had different reveals. So, when I made the hinge knuckles, they had an upper and lower for each door. They honestly fit like a factory supplied option. Same reveal all the way around, with the doors perfectly semi-countersunk in the openings. The circumference of the 1" sched (1-5/16 O.D.) 40 was just right for the task.

The latch mechanism was an aftermarket (Grizzly or Bear Claw??) part, but the actual levers I made. They are hidden from the outside. One just has to grasp the top of the door, lift up the safety catch and push the paddle down with two fingertips.

Different view of the levers. I added the black plastic kingboard bits for a more custom look.

The safety levers keep one from tripping the doors open while getting bounced around in the Jeep. Even Still, I managed to get them mostly hidden by the seat backs.

Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Nice work!
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
mikewalker11
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:30 pm

looks great! Looks like Lots of thought went into them. I want to see them on the jeep.
Good fast cheap.......pick 2 you cannot have all 3!

Miller 330 a/bp, millermatic 185, Lincoln ranger 8
TamJeff

mikewalker11 wrote:looks great! Looks like Lots of thought went into them. I want to see them on the jeep.
I meant to but didn't get out there in time. We were supposed to be waiting on fancy stainless/knurled hinge pins was the last I heard. All I had in there was 5/16" SS bolts sanded and then polished on the rouge wheel and nylocs. Next thing I knew they were gone, along with my jankety hardware. The customer was using the vehicle as this was going on too. I miss a lot of finish photo opportunities. I don't get out of the shop area often. Once the hood is down, portions of days just disappear.

I had gauged all the friction clearances with SS flat washers and I hope they at least figured out that they are indeed friction washers because it matters with the latches catching precisely and the doors hanging true, even when opened.

I get to hinge welded components a lot. This is a tee-top for a center console boat. The top half of which, folds down upon itself so that the customer can fit it in his garage.

Here it is erected. It's arranged in such a way so that it can be lifted single handed, and then stays up by itself until they can get the allen bolts in.
Last edited by TamJeff on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goat Driver
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:12 am

Very nice!! That boat top is great. I've been lurking here for a good while and I always enjoy your work.
TamJeff

Thank you, Goat. I have had a lot of fun doing them.