What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Sgfpat
    Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:36 am

What would you guys suggest welding a thin gauge ATV bumper with I've been enrolled in a welding program for 8 month now they just cover the basics and not much fabrication/repair. Is it possible to do with a buzz box or is it too much?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

It is possible to weld almost anything with anything. But it takes skill and experience. Light gauge general fab is the home of MIG, TiG can be used if you're confident. What gauge metal are you using? Also, if your buzz box is all you have, we can still work with it to help you out.

Mick
Sgfpat

I have a Lincoln 225ac I was thinking 6013 rods it looks like 28 gauge could be thicker my buddy sent a picture it could be heavier it's for a Polaris ATV
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

If you are welding thin metal with an AC buzz box, use thin rods and a low amp setting.
When necessary, stitch weld to prevent warping of thin sheet panels.
    Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 am

28ga ATV bumper? It's gotta be thicker than that. I'm pretty sure the sheet on car doors isn't even that thin.

I did try out 1.5mm (about 1/16 or .06 inch) the other day though with 2mm 6013 rods. Wasn't too bad but it was sagging a bit on the back side and I was moving really fast with DCEN. That thickness would be more appropriate for an ATV brush guard and is very doable.
Nick
    Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 am

Just went out and hit that piece with the calipers. It was actually .05 or 16ga
Nick
Sgfpat

The 6013 worked great ran it at 75amps I can't complain I got the buzz box for free
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Thats great. glad it worked. Just because it is mainly done one particular way doesn't mean it cant be done perfectly by another method. Just ask an old timer who never had a mig.....

Mick
    Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:55 am

Well Mig is not that popular in small welding shops here in our country, for repairing car door panel, they use small rods of 6013 or oxy-acetylene. But hey Sgfpat, if you manage to do it with your buzz box perfectly, then that is cool and congrats !!! ;) :D