What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
valveman
    Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:49 am

Hi All;
I just wanted to share my project with you. It is a modified hand metal shear. These are normally bench mounted. I decided I didn't want to spare the space on my bench and wanted to still use the shear so have a look at the video I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm1iwW34Or8

My Youtube User name is gijigadget

I hope you found this project interesting.

Cheers,
Robert
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That's really quite brilliant!

My first though for motorizing it would be an azimuth drive from an old C-band satellite dish, which can be had for cheap or free. I don't recall the jackscrew rating, but it was made to hold azimuth in 50mph+ winds for a 10+ foot dish, and operates on 12VDC, so could be powered from a cigarette lighter in your truck. I think total travel for the big ones was around 10-12", and there were Heim joints each end to make hookup simple.

I used to install those things years ago before DirectTV and DISH. Always thought they'd make great gate-openers, with built-in limit switches.

Steve S
valveman
    Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:49 am

Thank you Otto for the kind words and suggestion. Those Azimuth motors are very strong and I think that would work great. Before this mod, I would rarely use the shear because I found it so cumbersome to use. Now I find myself using it all the time. It's now my goto metal cutter for plate and sheet metal.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks for sharing your idea, I think I'll do something similar.
I've got the same shear at home. (from Princess Auto)
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Acce ... /8096000.p
I bought it on sale for $99 and it works great.
PS: Also, notice the hole in the blade for cutting metal rod.