What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
smaliden2
    Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:48 am

Here is a couple deer stands I just finished. Nothing fancy, took a full day of cutting and welding. It was a lot of work flyin solo without any type of lift. From the floor down is 1.5'' x 1/8'' square tubing and above the floor is 1'' x 1/8'' square tubing.
1.jpg
1.jpg (59.58 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (95.61 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
smaliden2

For my next project I was thinking of building a utility trailer maybe 6' x 14'. Im thinking 2'' x 2'' x 3/16'' angle on the main frame and 2'' x 2'' 1/8'' on the rails with 3500# single axle. Does this sound adequate or do I need heavier steel?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome aboard!

That's nice work on the deer stands. I assume they're intended to be "skidded" in to place behind a four-wheeler, by the runners.

My thoughts on the trailer project: For a 14' with a single axle, I'd look for rectangular tubing or c-channel, 1 1/2" X 3". 11ga. (1/8") for rectangular tube, 3/16 for c-channel. This is based on the single 3500# axle and the idea that you may load it to 1750# or better at some point, and you will build it to be street-legal.

If it's utility use only, at home, and not to be inspected or titled, there are no requirements, but for road use, the frame should be able to hold the full axle-rating (evenly distributed).

Your local highway patrol headquarters should be able to give you all the info you need to build a highway-compliant trailer.

Steve S
lazerbeam
    Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 am

That is a big trailer for 3500 lbs. When you subtract the weight of the trailer from 3500 you may not have enough payload. I like to use 2 x 3 x 1/4" angle for the main frame on small trailers and 3 x 4 x 1/4" angle for 7000 lb trailers and 2 x 2 x1/4" angle for all the cross members. I like to use angle because it gives a flat side to weld all of your rails to and more area to mount your axles on the bottom. Unless you already have an axle I would suggest a torflex type axle. They trail and tow much better and quieter. I have always put tandems under everything 12' and longer unless someone just insisted they only hauled light loads.

Kevin
smaliden2

Thanx guys, thats a lot of helpful info!!!