What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The boss (Not my boss... the big boss) pretty much told me I was stupid... it can't happen...

Here it is:
GEDC1152.JPG
GEDC1152.JPG (176.59 KiB) Viewed 2079 times

He enjoyed the crow he was served.

This was an inner vessel leak on a vacuum-jacketed vessel. It was a small vesell without a built-in manway, so I had to make one.
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Good for you Steve. Crow is best served COLD. :lol:

What do you mean it didn't have a built-in manway, you have to put a zipper in it?
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

No, I actually had to cut my way in. 16" manway. I'm the only guy in the shop who could fit.
GEDC1125.JPG
GEDC1125.JPG (181.69 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
Steve S

The manway required a cofferdam, since it's a vacuum jacketed vessel, and I needed it to be under vacuum to find the leak.

It was a though exersize, to lay out the holes coaxially, so the cofferdam would fit both the inner and outer vessel, since both were compound curves with differing radii.

On the plus side, it only took me 16 hours to put my finger on the leak... The last I.V. leak was in the parent metal, not a weld, and took eight weeks to find.

Lord, grant me patience!

Steve S
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

8 Weeks!!! You have more patients than I.

Never really thought about having to have a cofferdam between vessels but it makes sense knowing what you work on.
I was just being a smart a$$ when I made the zipper comment. :oops:

Up to page 16 in General Shop Talk on the "topic move project".
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

I never considered that I might have ADD. But then I start looking at the troubleshooting phase of your projects and it gives me anxiety though the computer screen, thousands of miles away! You need a raise.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Is that an ocean container that you're working on/in?
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder

Good eye, Steve,

Yes, this is designed to carry liquid nitrogen to offshore platforms. It's the stantard size of a cargo container, and had built-in lift points and rigging to be "craned" on and off vessels and platforms.

It's a royal pain in the ass when a leak proves to be "internal", and I have to make a hole to get at it.

Steve S

TamJeff wrote:I never considered that I might have ADD. But then I start looking at the troubleshooting phase of your projects and it gives me anxiety though the computer screen, thousands of miles away! You need a raise.
It does take a great deal of patience, but it is, in the end, just a systematic testing of every possibility in order of likelyhood, beginning with penetrating welds (pipes and tubes that penetrate the vessel), moving to the welds that connect parts of the barrel and/or heads of the vessel (where this one was found) to the open parent metal the vessel is formed from.

The search has to be systematic, but is not particularly complicated.

DAMN TEDIOUS at times, though.

Steve s

Here's the root pass on the repair...
GEDC1154.JPG
GEDC1154.JPG (216.49 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
in the inner vessel.

This crack was stop-drilled at 9/64", at 1/4" past each end, then sliced through. Ground with a 1/4" wheel face-on to about 75% depth, then sliced with a 1/16" cut-off wheel. I don't normally make a repair like this from one side, as there is mylar/tissue layers (approx. 200) on the backside, but the heat-sink properties of the dual-shield weld that cracked convinced me to make the attempt. The mylar on the backside prompted the "walk-the-cup" root, to limit the heat on the backside and avoid damage to the superinsulation.

The vessel, today, went through helium leak detection inside and out, as well as ASME restest pressurization. The latter meant pressuring it to 130% of MAWP while under full vacuum. MAWP is 45 PSIG, so 1.3X = 58.5 PSIG, plus full vacuum meaning an effective test pressure of 73.2 PSIA.

It's the equivalent of Hydro-testing, with fail mode determined by monitoring vacuum.

Steve S
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Interesting job you have there Steve. :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

MinnesotaDave wrote:Interesting job you have there Steve. :)
Thank you. I think so, too.

I wandered for many years from job to job, going as far as the job would let me, and/or learning all the position had to offer, and finding something else that interested me. For almost 30 years, I averaged 12-14 months at a job before I was bored and wanted to learn something new.

I've been doing this more than three years, and haven't even seen the light at the end of this learning curve yet. I hope every welder finds work that is both challenging and satisfying.

Steve S
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

How much do the containers cost versus the trailers? Is there a lower point where you would just scrap it if the leak was too bad?
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder

Steve, I don't know what the price is for these offshore containers, but I'd think a tenth or less of the LHY trailers.

However, this was a warranty issue for our company, and their first ever on this style unit, so there was great interest in finding the problem. They've produced over 350 of these without a problem, so headquarters was very interested in what caused this one.

I'll have to add it up, but they usually value me at $65+/hr (minus my pay) when I'm working for clients (and I'm underpriced, but they make it up in "approved shop hours", like your car mechanic rapes you), yet they turned me loose on this for about 4 weeks or so. So it's what was lost in income plus what they paid me for all those hours.

Plus materials, and tied-up shop equipment.

It took a week to make the big boss believe me... He was in denial. Once he was convinced, he HAD to know how it failed. I admire that attitude.

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

If you read the name of this topic quickly , its about a guy named Lee that you dont like very much.....lol.

weldin mike 27 wrote:If you read the name of this topic quickly , its about a guy named Lee that you dont like very much.....lol.
LOL! New Year's eve has passed... Put the beer down, and no one gets hurt...

Steve S

Ha...only getting warmed up for smashing the poms in the cricket and then Australia Day. Aussie Aussie Aussie. :-)

Hey,

Smashed the poms 5 nil in the Ashes tests, now bring on the One dayers, so we can smash em some more.

Mick

Had another leak hunt, a bit each of yesterday and today.

I think I set a record.

In four hours, I went from "here's the trailer" with no vacuum on it, to setting up the pump, setting up the mass-spec, pulling vacuum, and putting my finger on the leak.
GEDC1199.JPG
GEDC1199.JPG (156.12 KiB) Viewed 900 times
Steve S

That's what I get for bragging... :shock:

With that one fixed, I've now found an inner vessel leak in the same unit. (I should have suspected... These are always shipped to us with nitrogen under pressure in them, and this one had none.)

So now I'm back to crawling through another 16" manway. I'd have gone bigger, but this one is already there, built in.

As usual, I'll keep a photo journal, and share anything interesting or unusual.

Steve S
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

sounds like fun ;)
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Steve,

Even I can't guess the model of the trailer from that picture. But I'm quite sure who the customer is. :D

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

Len,

The trailer's an all-steel Cryenco, in oxygen service. The back section of the outer barrel is SS. I expect the leak to be at the top front, where the "crash-bars" are welded to the ouside of the inner vessel. Likely right at the end of one of them. The history on this series says the trailer with the preceding serial number had the same problem.

And, yep, it's "that" shade of green.

Steve S