What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Well folks the time has come at last for me to build a sphere fire pit. I will start with two 30" hemispheres and go from there. I am in the process of building it right now and am taking plenty of pictures. I will be keeping you all posted frequently.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I can't wait to see the progress!!!
-Jonathan

Progress so far!
Attachments
3M rust remover wheel
3M rust remover wheel
DSCN0847.JPG (57.36 KiB) Viewed 2699 times
3M rust remover wheel
3M rust remover wheel
DSCN0848.JPG (36.76 KiB) Viewed 2699 times
Fit up
Fit up
DSCN0846.JPG (83.5 KiB) Viewed 2699 times
The two hemis un-boxed
The two hemis un-boxed
DSCN0845.JPG (67.01 KiB) Viewed 2699 times
Matt

First problem! After doing some grinding and finessing to get the two halves to fit up just right. I took the good ole 3M rust and paint removing wheel to prep the joint. THAT IS WHERE I RAN INTO A PROBLEM! Where do I hook the ground clamp? I don't have a magnetic ground, I cannot weld a lug onto it either, the customer is a cheapo who wouldn't pay extra for me to get one (just kidding) so what do I do? BREAK OUT THE PINK FLAMINGO!!!
Attachments
DSCN0849.JPG
DSCN0849.JPG (74.42 KiB) Viewed 2699 times
DSCN0850.JPG
DSCN0850.JPG (61.78 KiB) Viewed 2699 times
DSCN0851.JPG
DSCN0851.JPG (69.34 KiB) Viewed 2699 times
Matt

:lol: you might feel funny if your customer shipped you a ground :lol:
-Jonathan

No I have tried to deal with this guy in the past he is crazy. :lol: He thinks you can weld sidewalk cracks using nitrogen. :roll: Oh well some never learn. :lol:
Matt
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

mcoe wrote:No I have tried to deal with this guy in the past he is crazy. :lol: He thinks you can weld sidewalk cracks using nitrogen. :roll: Oh well some never learn. :lol:
I was welding a new flange and some gussets on a 100HP fan, because the rodbusters put the re-bar in the wrong place. An electrician helper was waiting on me, so he could tie in the flex-conduit. He's at ground level, and I'm on a slab about 5' above grade.

He says, "WOW! I didn't know you could weld it to the concrete!".... I told him it was 387 Mortar rod...

I'm pretty sure he believed me.

Steve S
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I thought this was going to be a description of shaping plate into a dome, and then I saw the photo labeled "spheres unboxed". Where did you source the hemispheres from?
Dave
aka "RTFM"

It was a metal forming company. I honestly cannot remember off the top of my head because I contacted so many people trying to find them. I will find out and let you know.

Steve, that is funny! I love confusing people with things like blinker fluid and diesel spark plugs. :lol:
Matt

They were purchased from Commercial Metal Forming out of Youngstown, Ohio. If you order any please note that there are many sizes and to get a complete "ball" one needs to order two hemispheres.
http://www.cmforming.com/
-Jonathan

Wow Jonathan it is like you have ordered from there before :lol:
Matt

mcoe wrote:Wow Jonathan it is like you have ordered from there before :lol:
We better come clean, members will wonder what's up.
-Jonathan

Jonathan decided that he would have the best welder he knows make him a fire ring for a gift for his wife. So I gladly accepted the challenge. We set this thread up to keep him and all of you posted on my progress and since this is the only place his wife can't look, we thought this was the best place. THERE I feel better :lol:
Matt

To be more accurate, it's part of our 8 year anniversary present. This is the one place she does not look. Works out great, get to see the progress and everyone gets to see Matt and Alison's talent. While I can weld and fabricate, I am not a artist so I commissioned them to make one for me.
-Jonathan

I like my version best :lol:
Matt
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Superiorwelding wrote:To be more accurate, it's part of our 8 year anniversary present. This is the one place she does not look. Works out great, get to see the progress and everyone gets to see Matt and Alison's talent. While I can weld and fabricate, I am not a (Should be *an* you clown boy) artist so I commissioned them to make one for me.
-Jonathan
You also don't have a grasp on basic grammar and spelling :)
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

GreinTime wrote:
Superiorwelding wrote:To be more accurate, it's part of our 8 year anniversary present. This is the one place she does not look. Works out great, get to see the progress and everyone gets to see Matt and Alison's talent. While I can weld and fabricate, I am not a (Should be *an* you clown boy) artist so I commissioned them to make one for me.
-Jonathan
You also don't have a grasp on basic grammar and spelling :)
Hay spelling and grammer is knot my strongest subject. And I do try my best, to please the well educated hear but sometimes I miss the Mark. please bear with me as I struggle a long. Do not you have a truck to service or something? :D :lol:
-Clown Boy
ImLow78
    Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:22 pm

We make fire pits out of the ends of 500gal propane tanks that we make culvert out of. I'll try and take a photo of then and the scenes that are cut in to them with a Plas. (Deer hunters in mind)

Nice work to the OP!

Shannon
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

What does a hemisphere like that cost? I think I want one. never have a large enough pot to cook with :lol:

They were about $125 a piece. It takes two obviously to make one ball.
Matt
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

that shipped? if so that's not a bad price at all

gamble wrote:that shipped? if so that's not a bad price at all
That is only the piece, shipping is extra.
-Jonathan

Well the designs are on it finally. First attempt got washed away in the rain. Literally, soap stone and rain don't mix. Finally on in paint marker. Pics will follow soon. :)
Matt
newschoppafowah
    Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:54 pm

NICE project you have going there.

Can you spec out the wall thickness of the spheres and the mating surfaces there?

Is one a female and the other male? Do you have to grind one mating surface off and tack 'em up to keep them, square, as it were, you get where I'm going. :)

Post as much info as you can, then post the stuff you thought was boring. Cause it ain't. :D
Sent from an earthen ditch outside Needles, CA using an awful lot of low voltage single strand wire.

It's a matter of flour and water and then there's the seasonings, which is a matter of salt and so forth and then you h-we interrupt this for the announc

Wall thickness is 3/16". They were both male ends if you want to say it that way. I had to take the plasma and cut one of the bands off. They both had bands where they could sit inside a pipe flush so I had to cut one off so the other band would sit inside of the other hemi. It took one whole grinding wheel just to clean it up and dress up the joint. I will post pics soon. Going to start cutting today SO EXCITED!!! :lol: And it gets the customer off my back :lol:
Matt