What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Here is a neat project I worked on at my previous employer. We fabricated this and assembled it before sending it off to the jobsite. It was built out of rolled W8x10's for the spines, and the bottom ring was made from rolled TS8x4x1/2 tubing, the top compression ring couldn't be rolled to that tight of a radius, so we cut out two rings out of 1/2" flat plate and then rolled two pieces of plate to the inside and outside of the two rings....welded them together to along the edges to form a tube shape. Radiused the welds with a grinder to mimic the tubing that was originally specified.

John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
jwright650

video of it flying up onto the building
http://youtu.be/UyCG0rf7qcg
John Wright
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Thanks for sharing, John. I have a similar project on the go but I might try something different.

Last summer, I bought the frame from a retired 40' X 60' fabric covered quonset building.
Each of the 13 loops/arches has three parts. (Two long and one short. 2" dia. square tube.)

Some of this material will be used to cover a 20' span between two 40' shipping containers. As a garage.
Similar to this design but a shallow roof. http://pavilionstructures.com/building- ... p-in-a-box

The remaining material is destined to become a 40' diameter portable dome tent for camping and events.
The problem that I was facing, was how to safely erect or dismantle this large tent without ladders or cranes.
I found a photo of such a design, and I think that I will adopt this idea, for my project.
Attachments
Dome assembly at ground level.jpg
Dome assembly at ground level.jpg (28.45 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
jwright650

WerkSpace wrote:I have a similar project
That sounds neat!
John Wright
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Did they ever bother to concrete the floor for you? That looks abit 3rd world.
jwright650

weldin mike 27 wrote:Did they ever bother to concrete the floor for you? That looks abit 3rd world.
Is this question for me? If so, that pic was taken in the material receiving department, it was the only place that I could lay it all out and put it together without disrupting the entire shop(due to the over head cranes). The concrete piers with gravel floor are to hold the beams up off the floor and still are able to throw chains underneath and wrap the stacks of steel to move them down into the main shop for further processing(sawing, punching, cambering, fabrication, etc....
John Wright
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Right. The flooring set up is exactly what it needs to be. Got ya.
jwright650

weldin mike 27 wrote:Right. The flooring set up is exactly what it needs to be. Got ya.
Yup, the painting/shipping/loading department is setup the same way on the opposite end of the plant. The main fabrication plant has solid floors with steel saw horses for work tables.
John Wright