Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

WeldingJunkie wrote:CJ listen man, don't take this the wrong way but if you've never used a HTP Invertig 221 then you really cant really comment about the difference can you?
The comment was not about the HTP, it was about your description of it being "aggressive".

I own both and ive owned the Dynasty 200 as well, more than one in my life. The dynasty will not go down to 1 amp first off with aluminum and you cant run 3/32 down to 1 or 2 amp the low end only .40.
There's absolutely no reason in the world that I can think of, where you would run 1 amp start on AC. Please do tell me what possible application you have for this requirement? AC arc starts need to stabilize quickly, a 1 amp start for DC makes sense as many people weld steel alloys with incredibly thin walls. This is not the same for ally. BTW, it does go down to 2 amps on AC, but I guess that extra amp is a deal breaker.

I'm laughing at the comment my machine isn't set up right or my machine is whacked.
Odd, Oscar even concurred with that statement. And that link you posted, also states setup changes are recommended. So more than just I believe you need to alter your setup to get the performance you prefer.

Let me ask you a question which Tig machines do you own? I remember you saying an Everlast right?
Sorry, no. I own currently a Dynasty 200DX, Master 150, MultiMatic 200, IdealArc 250, and use a new 280DX and PipePro 350 regularly.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

WeldingJunkie wrote:BTW the wave forms are a gimmick. ive tried them all many times, what a joke. ill take the Amplitude setting all day long over that BS.
I agree, independent AC is a very nice feature, but if you have not found applications that benefit from waveform changes, then you simply haven't found the need. Is it viable to weld with a straight sine wave on a transformer and get excellent results? Of course it is. The difference is: it takes enormous experience and talent from someone to produce the same result that a capable welder with these advanced features can. That's why they exist; to enable people to produce better results with less effort.

My best mate, who's one helluva welder, bought a 280DX last year. It took me weeks to orient him to the advanced features before he became comfortable and familiar with them enough to implement them. He now swears by them, and his welds are even better, and faster. He doesn't have the SW upgrade for independent AC, but I may buy it for him as I use his box very often and I have some particularly tricky ally welding coming up.

I guess the moral of these anecdotes is many welders just weld to get their work done. If it works, they use it. They keep things pretty simple and don't like "change and modern fancy stuff" as they have discovered a method that works for them, and they aren't paid to learn, they're paid to burn. I have the luxury of welding stuff that allows me time and means to experiment to constantly adapt and improve. And waveforms DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Etching proves it.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

WeldingJunkie wrote: the Dynasty 210 has a crisp, hard almost aggressive like start and with the freq feels sounds and feels completely different than the HTP Invertig 221.... ?
So all 3 of us are correct, you just didn't describe it before like you did now. Now is when you stated that the aggressiveness to the at the start, where as before you were being just a little bit vague about the arc in general. ;)

So CJ was right because it is machine-setting related, and I was right because the arc-start setting is indeed in the Blue Lightning settings. So sorry to say this man, but if you are not liking it as you have mentioned, your machine is not set-up right, regardless of how many years you've been welding. Take the time to learn the ins-and-outs of your machine and you can really fine tune it to your liking. Having such an advanced inverter based welder can have a lot of advantages, and personally I love them all, but if someone is not up-to-speed as to the extent of just how many settings can be adjusted or even created in our own minds, then they'll be in for a treat and will mistakenly diagnose a characteristic as undesirable, without even realizing that oh, hey there is a knob [aka settings] to completely control this! :)
biermaem
    Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:05 pm

I am happy to report progress,

I bought the "TigButton" from Dave Vogel via 6061.com that was suggested earlier. I installed it yesterday and I get a decent arc now with out weird flames that blind me and there is cleaning action what I never seen before.

I only have been struggling for 16 years and it all comes down to amp control because I cannot use my feet. As a beginner there is so much to learn and moving the gap by trying to adjust the amps with other finger Amp controls seems to have been too much variation.

Now I just hold the torch and just with one finger I can control the start and amps. Not saying that I am a good welder now but I finally can start practicing.

Thanks for suggesting the "TigButton" and thank to Dave Vogel to create this "TigButton"
Feeling a lot better about this endevour now.
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Glad to hear your liking your Tig button, now you just need to pad beads.. :)
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

biermaem wrote:I am happy to report progress,

I bought the "TigButton" from Dave Vogel via 6061.com that was suggested earlier. I installed it yesterday and I get a decent arc now with out weird flames that blind me and there is cleaning action what I never seen before.

I only have been struggling for 16 years and it all comes down to amp control because I cannot use my feet. As a beginner there is so much to learn and moving the gap by trying to adjust the amps with other finger Amp controls seems to have been too much variation.

Now I just hold the torch and just with one finger I can control the start and amps. Not saying that I am a good welder now but I finally can start practicing.

Thanks for suggesting the "TigButton" and thank to Dave Vogel to create this "TigButton"
Feeling a lot better about this endevour now.
safaririder
    Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:42 pm

Glad you found the "TigButton". I have been using one now for years and am one of Dave's first customers. THis product is top of the line and his service is second to none! Once you get used to the pressure needed to control the amperage, this system lets you weld anywhere. I am usually out of position and not at a table so the TigButton is great for me too! I don't have to drag a pedal around and figure out how to hold it when I'm laying under a boat or up a ladder....

Keep up the practise and you'll get there!