Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

Toggatug wrote:
snoeproe wrote:
Toggatug wrote:I had the same thing on a dynasty 400.

I was able to get a arc (lift arc due to HF not functioning from backwards polarity)

Was also able to keep the tungsten from exploding by cracking the balance to one direction (reversed of what it should be)

So it is possible to get a arc and maintain the tungsten depending on the machi e and whether or not he could set his balance.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
I'm confused.
He was welding with dc. Not AC
What exactly would he be balancing?
My point was more so that all sorts of weird things happen when those leads get swapped. It basically seemed like it flipped my whole machine around

Your probably right about the no balance control though cause I think of memory serves right I only welded aluminium when I had the leads backwards.

Balance control is irrelevant when welding with dc. Balance control is relevant when welding with AC. You can change or balance the AC cycle to hold the cycle longer on the + side so the cycle to achieve more cleaning action or hold the AC cycle longer on the - side as to achieve more penetration.
You should never have to move welding leads when welding with AC. The polarity is constantly alternating back and forth between + and -
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

Toggatug wrote:
snoeproe wrote:
Toggatug wrote:I had the same thing on a dynasty 400.

I was able to get a arc (lift arc due to HF not functioning from backwards polarity)

Was also able to keep the tungsten from exploding by cracking the balance to one direction (reversed of what it should be)

So it is possible to get a arc and maintain the tungsten depending on the machi e and whether or not he could set his balance.

I'm confused.
My point was more so that all sorts of weird things happen when those leads get swapped. It basically seemed like it flipped my whole machine around

Your probably right about the no balance control though cause I think of memory serves right I only welded aluminium when I had the leads backwards.

Balance control is irrelevant when welding with dc. Balance control is relevant when welding with AC. You can change or balance the AC cycle to hold the cycle longer on the + side so the cycle to achieve more cleaning action or hold the AC cycle longer on the - side as to achieve more penetration.
You should never have to move welding leads when welding with AC. The polarity is constantly alternating back and forth between + and -
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

snoeproe wrote:
Toggatug wrote:
snoeproe wrote: I'm confused.

You gotta swap em when they send you a demo unit in a rush and they put the connections in wrong. Then you assuming they got things right just fire up the machine without looking things over and try to run some beads.

Weird scenario but it happened to me.

BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

snoeproe wrote:If your polarity was wrong and your were running dc ep, you would not be able to keep the end of your tungsten from burning away when striking up an arc. Was that happening?
Could some of the porosity in the first picture be the tungsten dropping off? What type of tungsten? Did the metal come from the beach beside a mermaid? How is the metal being prepared?
I have a piece of metal in the shop and that is zachary how it acts every time I tinker with it. I've changed everything possible, one at a time and get the same results. The piece of metal came from an old home made trailer that I inherited. I might have gotten it from my partner when we invented dirt.