General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Your pics are not showing up, but you won't find me arguing against FAT, I love it, especially on the BBQ as you did your burgers. When I was younger I trained under a pretty famous body builder, although you would never know it today, but he was very pro low/no carb. His name was Vince Gironda. What he would advise is that eggs and fat are not bad, that all this low cholesterol is BS mostly advocated by fat doctors that would make you nauseous if they took their clothes off. :lol:

Was just pointing out about the Japanese beef being a marvel in that nothing is done differently to the cows, they are literally raised the same as American cows but inherently just produce marbled beef.

Here's a good read on the subject of Wagyu. BTW, Harris Ranch was one of the places to receive some of the Japanese cows back in the early 70s, but the Japanese have not exported any since, AFAIK. There are Wagyu in Canada, AU and America.

https://www.crowdcow.com/blog/myths-and ... bout-wagyu
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Nothin wrong with fat. It's one of my three most important food groups.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Nothin wrong with fat. It's one of my three most important food groups.

cold beer and more beer are my favorite food groups.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

pics fixed
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:pics fixed
Oscar,

That looks good, and not cheap, but it looks more like aged beef than it does what is traditionally known as Wagyu, such as this:

This is the type of meat that guys will pound their left testicle with a 10 lb. sledge on an anvil to eat. :P

Collector of old Iron!

Alan
robtg
    Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:54 pm

You guys eat whale blubber too? That looks like about 85% fat.
TraditionalToolworks

robtg wrote:You guys eat whale blubber too? That looks like about 85% fat.
Funny you mention that, the person I trained with used a book as his example of not needing carbs, the book was called "Not By Bread Alone" by Steffansson, he lived with the eskimos and all they ate was whale blubber and caribou meat.

https://www.amazon.com/Not-Bread-Alone- ... B07LGFJ5HY

Yeah, that high grade meat is high fat content, but that is how the Japanese cows grow at their best. That's some of the highest grade, what is known as A5.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

People trying to teach a bunch of roughneck welders about international fine dining :lol:
TraditionalToolworks

Spartan wrote:People trying to teach a bunch of roughneck welders about international fine dining :lol:
Well, I can't speak for anyone except myself, but I'm only a roughneck welder as a hobbyist! :lol:

Both my wife and daughter are professional cooks, but my daughter is furloughed and starting an internship to be a Dietician next month! My wife cooks for a Japanese family 5 nights a week. :D
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
Oscar wrote:pics fixed
Oscar,

That looks good, and not cheap, but it looks more like aged beef than it does what is traditionally known as Wagyu, such as this:

This is the type of meat that guys will pound their left testicle with a 10 lb. sledge on an anvil to eat. :P

what you posted is specifically A5 Wagyu, as you can tell from the actual name of the URL of the pic. The Texas Wagyu I get is obviously not of that grade. There are many levels of Wagyu beef. Yes the Texas Wagyu I buy is aged.
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

I'd start to go insane without enough carbs back when I trained :lol:. That beef looks amazing though, the beef can make or break a great burger if it's going to be grilled.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

I recall a guy on another forum bought an A5 loin (the whole thing) to serve at a dinner party he was having, and posted pictures of the whole process they went through. It was recommended it sit out for a certain amount of time, so he had it on a cutting board, sliced into the steaks they were going to serve. The grease was running out of it at room temp. :D Mmm mmm, it looked great. I want to say he spent $1500 or 2500 on that loin, I don't recall, but it was a lot. One time splurge thing just to say he did. He said it was like nothing else.

For you guys who like Burgers, Allen Brothers sells burgers made using the trimmings from their dry aged prime beef steaks, and I buy those regularly. They are well worth the money. (Yes, they're expensive vs store ground beef). Truly the best burger you'll ever have. The "Burger" is the highlight of a sandwich. Once you've eaten one, you'll get what I mean. I also have some of their Wagyu burgers, I think I got a box of 8 last time I purchased. I'm not gonna say they're 'worth the money', but they're really good also. I want to say all-in, I was around $4 and low change for each 8oz burger. Not prohibitive.

I've had their Dry aged steaks as well. They are hands down the best steaks I ever ate, but they are not worth the money. To try once and say you did, sure. But you can buy prime beef at your local store and get 85% as good for 1/5th the money. They won't be dry aged, but you can also dry age your own if you really want to do it. You just need to start with whole loins, you can't dry age cut steaks.

These are probably their best deal on burgers... I got 2 of these on sale a few months ago for I want to say $119.xx??? each... That's a lot of burgers! Pro tip, do NOT thaw them in water, the packages don't always stay sealed and you can get water in em... :(

https://www.allenbrothers.com/products/ ... ak-burgers