What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

I designed a new concept project, based on my own boat as the prototype and everyone questioned my sanity. I built it, and another customer saw it and wanted the same package on his boat. I told my boss not to do it until we had a concrete contract, that they (a major manufacturer I had dealt with before) would splash it and do it themselves. The people who bought it, were sponsored by the manufacturer. Not only did they splash it, but used the actual one I built on the cover of their brochure that launched a complete and unique concept line of boats. Now that it had attention, it was suddenly "our" idea and "we" had been wronged, even though it had been scoffed at initially. At any rate, I bitched. One of those "I told you so" moments. And the boss had the balls to tell me to my face that it was not my idea, even though he used my actual photos of my own boat to sell the job. That was the end of that. I have a journal of no less than 300 design ideas/sketches and I brought it home, never to be seen again. That also told me exactly where we stood as 'friends', when it came right down to it, and I have treated it accordingly ever since. There has been other red flags but that was the clincher. The o'l "3 strike rule." The most frustrating part? Is that you can't entirely hold it against them because they are ignorant to such a code. They will never get it and you will never make them see it differently.

Many people are guided by ego, very few by ethic. I can honestly say that at 51 years of age, I have never wandered away from the latter in my adult life. And even though it hasn't paid off in any great financial reward, I find it comforting, regardless.

There is a saying in the Kevin Costner movie "Bull Durham." "The world was not designed for those who are self aware." It's frustrating if you have the capacity to realize the truth in that statement. Especially when it comes to people you have to work with or for, whichever the case may be.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

I can never see myself owning my own business or being a manager. Or on another point, a land lord. Bit if i ever do, I hope i will never change from the values that i hold as a worker today. I treat people the way i want to be treated. Fairly and nicely. If you need a kick up the butt you get it but thats it.No grudges. And I know that there is no one out there saying "i hate that mick, he is such a backstabbing a/h" maybe a crazy prick who talks a bunch of crap but thats cause i am. Not a a/h though.

Mick
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

That sucks that they used your build on their brochure. That's a lot of balls. It's too bad you couldn't get a copyright or patent on it first. At least you would get something out of it.

One of the great paradoxes in the world is "Business ethics"
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

For "business ethics", I'd use the adjective, "oxymoron".
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Oxymoron...that's the word I was trying to think of!
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Some people still have it. Usually it's working stiffs like us. I'm too old to change now. I can't imagine getting ambition for dog-eat-dog advancement, financially, or otherwise by this point in the game. When it's all said and done, it's easier just to work for your money instead of all the stress with trying to get over on bs. We all got better things to do by the looks of it.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.