Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

dsmabe wrote:
Anyway, I've always believed if you're not comfortable with something, don't do it! You can always start small/ non critical, and work up to large scale/ critical parts.
Yeah I didnt mean for you to go out and do critical parts. Just saying don't be afraid to try welding it. I personally like the way the puddle moves. I also like aluminum over regular mild steel too. I was worried about aluminum, but have really enjoyed working with it. prefer it over mild steel even. I need to start on titanium been gathering stuff to do it. thinking about making some TI parts for a project I got drawn up.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

I like welding aluminum as well, although I rarely get the opportunity to weld straight aluminum. The aluminum i weld is what makes up the inner diameter of engine bearings. It has silicates, tin, and a lot more added to it. Then is heat treated before we weld coils end to end.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

@GreinTime just wanted to see if it worked again. :lol:
-Jonathan
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

dirtmidget33 wrote:a video that talks about it so here that is, and you guys can get info from some engineer instead of me spelling it out.
Welding 4130 CrMoly: http://youtu.be/ytSrEggjz1A
Thanks for sharing that video...the author makes some good points and explains the "why" behind the facts presented.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

@SuperiorWelding it did no worries!
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
dsmabe

Probably not going to be able to do it anytime soon but I would like to practice some 4130. With the different options that have been discussed, how much pre and post heat should be used?
It will probably be quite a while before I can do it but would like to weld several joints to see how they hold up to destructive testing.
I would like to try er70 and er 80, maybe some other fillers, all with no pre or post heat, some with just pre, some just post, and some pre and post heat!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

dsmabe wrote:Probably not going to be able to do it anytime soon but I would like to practice some 4130. With the different options that have been discussed, how much pre and post heat should be used?
It will probably be quite a while before I can do it but would like to weld several joints to see how they hold up to destructive testing.
I would like to try er70 and er 80, maybe some other fillers, all with no pre or post heat, some with just pre, some just post, and some pre and post heat!
You do know I linked a technical paper as to the results from exactly what you have described, right? :)
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

@Oscar just because theirs held doesn't mean that his will ;) I always try and break a test sample before I weld something important so I can make sure I can weld it with success!
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
dsmabe

To be honest I didn't read through everything until now. But I still wouldn't mind doing it! It would at least give me some practice and hopefully find out what Doesn't work for me.