Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Coldman,
It probably doesn't warrant the large price tag of a guided radar indicator, if the level doesn't have to be maintained at an accurate level then there's no need. Steve's assessment is probably right on the money.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Len,

Capacitive sensors can be millimeter accurate when the conductance of the medium is constant.

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Steve,
I didn't mean to say that they were not well suited for some things, because they are. I was just thinking of their use in boilers and things of that nature that have constant changes in conductivity, we find the higher priced radar units more suitable for them.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Fair enough, Len,

I first explored capacitive sensors as a very low power consumption way to montor flow, i.e. the height of water behind a v-notch weir. The idea was to montitor the flow in a cave creek versus the rainfall above. Ultimately, the capacitance method was a "no" because the water itself was conductive, as dissolved calcium ions in a mild carbonic acid solution, and that conductance changed with flow rate, but it was fun learning about all of the above.

Steve S