Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:
gamble wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:Y'all are kind!

I'm going to be blunt.

One more abusive post...

Try me.

Gamble, no one has treated you rudely, despite your multiple invitations.

Steve S
Why? Because nobody (except welding mike) including yourself could offer any useful information? And because everyone assumes I was welding it? Or everyone assumes it was a pipe? Exactly what I didn't want is 3 pages of BS to sort through from nobody that can offer any useful information.

I found what I needed anyway so thank you to those that helped and not to those that post just to post.
Your welcome, whichever category I fit in!!! :D :D :D
-Jonathan
lol haha, sorry i forgot about you
thank you :lol:
kblenker#22
    Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:23 pm

Well I don't want to get in the middle of this exciting conversation but I would use a standard 70 filler you can use something higher but your just wasting your money A36 won't hold more than that and the weld will pull from the base metal before the weld fails, if welds are properly sized. As far as process mig or tig doesn't matter, with a press I'm sure you want some good size welds so mig will take less time. My .02
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

kblenker#22 wrote:Well I don't want to get in the middle of this exciting conversation but I would use a standard 70 filler you can use something higher but your just wasting your money A36 won't hold more than that and the weld will pull from the base metal before the weld fails, if welds are properly sized. As far as process mig or tig doesn't matter, with a press I'm sure you want some good size welds so mig will take less time. My .02
What's A36 rated to?

I guess my main concern was the 8620 material is forged from my understanding.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

gamble wrote:
kblenker#22 wrote:Well I don't want to get in the middle of this exciting conversation but I would use a standard 70 filler you can use something higher but your just wasting your money A36 won't hold more than that and the weld will pull from the base metal before the weld fails, if welds are properly sized. As far as process mig or tig doesn't matter, with a press I'm sure you want some good size welds so mig will take less time. My .02
What's A36 rated to?

I guess my main concern was the 8620 material is forged from my understanding.
A36 is just 36,000psi steel.

"A36 steel in plates, bars, and shapes with a thickness of less than 8 in (203 mm) has a minimum yield strength of 36,000 psi (250 MPa) and ultimate tensile strength of 58,000–80,000 psi (400–550 MPa). Plates thicker than 8 in have a 32,000 psi (220 MPa) yield strength and the same ultimate tensile strength."

8620 is a little different, here is what I found:

Principal Design Features: AISI 8620 is a hardenable chromium, molybdenum, nickel low alloy steel often used for carburizing to develop a case-hardened part. This case-hardening will result in good wear characteristics.

Applications: In the carburized condition this alloy is used for gears, ring gears, shafts and crankshafts.

Welding: The alloy may be welded by conventional methods, usually gas or arc welding. Preheating at 400 F is beneficial and subsequent heating after welding is recommended - consult the approved weld procedure for the method used.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Gamble, wouldn't it have been better to pose the question like "Do you guys think.... Whatever I'm asking about... Would hold xxx psi if made with A36 and 8620?"

What parts of the fixture are going to be 8620 vs A36 would have been the first question I would have asked, had all of the other information been presented. It seems like trying to squeeze something at 25ton into, on to, or on top of something with a yield strength of 16-18 to would lead to inconsistent results due to deflection and/or deformation of the A36.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

GreinTime wrote:Gamble, wouldn't it have been better to pose the question like "Do you guys think.... Whatever I'm asking about... Would hold xxx psi if made with A36 and 8620?"

Yes, wouldn't it have?

Perhaps gamble thinks we're his "beck-and-call" service, to answer random questions, rather than a group of friends who discuss questions.

My ire rises...

Steve S
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

Definitely not intending to agitate here, but yes, there was certainly confusion stemming from the original question.

That's why some asked was there a typo, others talked about pressure gauges, and I asked "Can the meaning of the 50k PSI be explained more fully? I'm having trouble grasping these values for a real-world situation." At that point I thought it was pipe for hydraulics or similar. Jonathan took a guess, which proved to be accurate.

However, it was clear that only the O/P knew what the project actually was and that somebody else was actually going to weld it, and didn't elaborate further when it was clear there was confusion.

Once that was all explained, it made it easier for others to lend much more useful information.

I think the lesson learned is to try to offer as much information as possible right from the start. Give others the best chance to provide good, sound advice, and do this by providing accurate and reasonable detail about the actual task at hand from the very beginning.

regards

Trevor
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc