What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:I could get really rude here but I won't.

Go right ahead.....
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

exnailpounder wrote:Us oldtimers come up with some s@#$ to bust the young guys chops thats for sure. I catch myself doing it to my sons and I just think...oh no...I'm my Dad! :lol:
My dad was a real cool cat. I'd rather become him than so many "examples" I see today.

Steve S

IMG_1369.PNG
IMG_1369.PNG (463.3 KiB) Viewed 1065 times

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

John,
I was going to stay out of this but I have to ask why in the world you have instigated things with this post. Don't give me the card you are having fun or just kidding.

Since you constantly seek our advise and approval I will honestly judge your work. Your torch job is rough. Clearly you did not follow your lines well. Never leave grinding marks on a part, especially one that will see high stress and load. Those harsh grinding marks can/will create stress risers and thus potential failure spots. The welds are second rate for someone who is jesting at us tig snoobs. The passenger side, which you didn't post the close up pic of, would not pass my visual inspection. I have seen you do better. Also, did you grind back your HAZ from your torching like you should have? Did you calculate your heat input in that plate to be sure you did not make the parent metal brittle? That weaving would have doubled your heat input, which I know you compensated for and I know you would have done the math on weld size for the load the truck will be pulling.
-Jonathan

Superiorwelding wrote:John,
I was going to stay out of this but I have to ask why in the world you have instigated things with this post. Don't give me the card you are having fun or just kidding.

Since you constantly seek our advise and approval I will honestly judge your work. Your torch job is rough. Clearly you did not follow your lines well. Never leave grinding marks on a part, especially one that will see high stress and load. Those harsh grinding marks can/will create stress risers and thus potential failure spots. The welds are second rate for someone who is jesting at us tig snoobs. The passenger side, which you didn't post the close up pic of, would not pass my visual inspection. I have seen you do better. Also, did you grind back your HAZ from your torching like you should have? Did you calculate your heat input in that plate to be sure you did not make the parent metal brittle? That weaving would have doubled your heat input, which I know you compensated for and I know you would have done the math on weld size for the load the truck will be pulling.
-Jonathan
OK.

I'm sorry I started all this.
The hitch will be just fine.
I'm done.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Whoa..this is fixing to get good...I'm gettin my popcorn :D
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Damn.

I'd have expected two responsible citizens to sort this out calmly.

Perhaps I've overestimated...

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Steve,
Have no fear. I am done. I shouldn't have partisipated in the first place.
-Jonathan
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey Jon. I wasnt going to be rude to you. I'm not rude to anybody. I simply cannot. I was going to share a way of picking on a younger associate. Have no fear, I wasn't talking about you at all. Have a lovely day.

weldin mike 27 wrote:Hey Jon. I wasnt going to be rude to you. I'm not rude to anybody. I simply cannot. I was going to share a way of picking on a younger associate. Have no fear, I wasn't talking about you at all. Have a lovely day.

I probably deserve it.

I just got all my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday, so nothing you can say will make me feel any worse.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

AKweldshop wrote:I just got all my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday, so nothing you can say will make me feel any worse.

Hmmmmm? Maybe you should have left them in a bit longer? ;) :P :mrgreen: :roll:

It's all good. Life is just too short to give a fat rat's arse about other's opinions!

Now let's all put our damn helmets back on and get back to welding!

rake wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:I just got all my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday, so nothing you can say will make me feel any worse.

Hmmmmm? Maybe you should have left them in a bit longer? ;) :P :mrgreen: :roll:

It's all good. Life is just too short to give a fat rat's arse about other's opinions!

Now let's all put our damn helmets back on and get back to welding!
Good point..... :) :)

Speaking of helmets, I'm really enjoying my new Jackson Boss.
IMG_0909.JPG
IMG_0909.JPG (42.31 KiB) Viewed 1114 times

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Image for some fun, one of mine from years ago. 6013s on too few amps, for fear of burning down the house. And not having a grinder. Professional etch done by our NDT tech at work.
exnailpounder

Otto Nobedder wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:Us oldtimers come up with some s@#$ to bust the young guys chops thats for sure. I catch myself doing it to my sons and I just think...oh no...I'm my Dad! :lol:
My dad was a real cool cat. I'd rather become him than so many "examples" I see today.

Steve S
I hear ya Steve. The world would be better off with the best generation running things. I got a few ass whippings in my young days but I look back and know I deserved it. Parents today are afraid toeven say NO to their kids. Anyway....back to the party! :D
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

I got a couple of weeks off, so I am getting drunk and going fishing. Walleye are biting around here ...
exnailpounder

Boomer63 wrote:I got a couple of weeks off, so I am getting drunk and going fishing. Walleye are biting around here ...
I used to catch walleye at the discharge at Amoco in Whiting. For years no on believed me when I told them Lake Michigan had walleye. I don't know if you can still fish there...if you can...float softshells in the discharge...you will clean up! Good luck and have fun!