Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

@Nitram88 there is no delay issues with pedal. The Thermal Arc 186 is a great welder. The one thing I do not like about it is the torch. The 26 is huge and cable is very stiff. Suggest buying a CK torch with the flex line. I did also add a quick disconnect to gas line since I change torches a lot, going from 9 to 17. You could avoid that also by just getting a CK 26 with flex line. Lot easier to use than that stock 26, if you go that route I suggest the trimline 26.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
Nitram88
    Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:18 am

Sounds good thanks for the advice at this point I'm saving for the machine and a tank of argon once I get that then I can save for different torches and parts for them.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Have HTP retrofit a water cooler/ck20 torch set up while you're at it. Worlds apart from a two-piece hose setup described earlier
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

delay my be on preflow
not really a delay
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
b1105
    Wed May 27, 2015 12:07 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. Glad to see this forum is active. Sorry i have responded. Work has been kicking my ass. So next month ill have roughly 2000 to spend on a welder. Are any of the 3 in 1 welders even worth it? I can stick and mig and dont have a welder at home so the thought ran throug my mind. Also can i plug a welder into the dryer socket or do i need to have new one installed?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

b1105 wrote:... Also can i plug a welder into the dryer socket or do i need to have new one installed?
Your dryer outlet is likely 50A/220VAC, so, yes.

Keep your cord either heavy or short. Your outlet is likely wired 10/3 w/ ground, and if it's within 15' of the box, you can almost ignore losses.

Steve S
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
b1105 wrote:... Also can i plug a welder into the dryer socket or do i need to have new one installed?
Your dryer outlet is likely 50A/220VAC, so, yes.

Keep your cord either heavy or short. Your outlet is likely wired 10/3 w/ ground, and if it's within 15' of the box, you can almost ignore losses.

Steve S
A proper welder circuit will either be sized for the biggest welder it will see. This might mean lighter than 50 amps if you are able to benefit from duty cycle de rating, or much heavier if the transformer is far away. The breaker size will likely be larger. If your dryer is properly wired, it should be on a four wire circuit. Welders need three. Most importantly, you probably shouldn't weld in the laundry room. If using a cord means passing through a doorway, we both know the cord is going to get shut in a door.

Don't get electrocuted, or burn your house down, put in an outlet. It isn't that big a thing to do.

I've seen a thousand 30 amp dryer circuits, never a 50.