Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Sam,

I've had unusual thing happen with 5356...

I'd been welding overhead for many hours, a 4G 3/8" 6010 base metal. I ran out of 1/8" Oxford brand 5356 rod, dug in the storeroom, and continued with 1/8" Alcotec brand 5356. I proceeded to burn myself several times from drip-out. After the fourth burn above 2nd degree, I discarded several pounds of rod, and refused to continue. They sent the purchasing agent to the LWS with the credit card. She returned with the same Oxford brand I'd started with, and I continued without incedent.

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Steve,
Funny that you bring that up, the rod that he hates is Alcotec and it was recovered while dumpster diving after they closed the weld shop at the other plant. I found 2 un-opened boxes.

I've had the uncanny nack of welding for 40+ years and have only ever bought welding rods 2 times, if you can believe that. I've learn to weld with whatever their buying and always tell them up front that all extra rod is mine when I finish. I have probably the widest collection of odd ball filler wire of anybody I know. My worst day in welding was when my brother's farther-in-law said he was retiring from the boilermakers, he's brought me rod and consumables from almost every job he's worked for 20 some years.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
clayton47
    Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:15 pm

Bringing back up this thread again to ask for your opinions. Could the problem be the brand filler rod? When I purchased the 4043 it was western alloy brand. A guy working at the welding supply I go to told me that Lincoln was a better quality. The welder he knows only uses that brand cause it was a big difference. Has anyone noticed better results with supposed "higher quality" brands of filler rod?

Thanks
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I think the biggest thing with filler rod, and anything in the world, is that quality control costs money, especially good quality control. If they make the filler in house, chances are that they make sure that they are putting out exactly what the filler should be composition wise. If they are rebranding after buying in bulk, they just have to trust that it is what "Inspector 86" says it is.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-