What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

IMG_9878.JPG
IMG_9878.JPG (54.77 KiB) Viewed 10012 times
IMG_9879.JPG
IMG_9879.JPG (42.17 KiB) Viewed 10012 times
IMG_9880.JPG
IMG_9880.JPG (30.47 KiB) Viewed 10012 times
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

IMG_9883.JPG
IMG_9883.JPG (64.68 KiB) Viewed 10012 times
IMG_9892.JPG
IMG_9892.JPG (111.15 KiB) Viewed 10012 times
IMG_9908.JPG
IMG_9908.JPG (68.03 KiB) Viewed 10012 times

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

What a pitiful turnout....
Jonathan's right, its a hobbyist forum.... :shock:

IMG_9911.JPG
IMG_9911.JPG (55.87 KiB) Viewed 10012 times

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

What does that leave for a payload on the ute? Not too many car in AUS that could have a tray that big. Would need to step up to a 3 or 4 tonne light truck.

weldin mike 27 wrote:What does that leave for a payload on the ute? Not too many car in AUS that could have a tray that big. Would need to step up to a 3 or 4 tonne light truck.

The truck has a 24,500lb gross vehicle capacity.

Bed will weigh around 1,700 fully equipped.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

John,

I'm not sure what you were expecting, but there's not going to be a lot of "ooh"s and "ahh"s on the individual steps of an unfinished project, particularly when you post all pictures and almost no narrative.

The "topic views" show you're getting plenty of attention.

I, personally, think it's great work and well executed. The end result will be very nice, and of high quality. However, I can't usually think of a comment to add. You're not asking questions, not having problems, not needing advice on how to continue, so what are we going to say? I'll throw out the occasional "Nice Work!" but if you're not asking questions or opinions, there's little to discuss and passing out compliments to a skilled and able welder gets repetitive.

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

John,
If you are going I quote me, quote me right. I have told you that MOST here are hobbiest and might not appreciate a build like this. I told you that SOME might not have the skill to tackle a project like this and SOME might not have a interest in it. I agree, you have good views in your topics. We are not Welding Web where you have 30,000 views on this topic. We also don't have 54,000 members. Keep it in perspective. I have told you before, we don't so this for the honor and glory!! Share projects to help others out and a little bragging, not trying to see how many "WOWS" you can get. Humble John.

Also, I would have to agree with Steve on why I don't post. While I appreciate the thorough pictures what am I supposed to say everyone you post? Good job would get old. Remember I told you earlier that this build shows your skill level in that you had no prints and have not done this before.
-Jonathan

Otto Nobedder wrote:John,

I'm not sure what you were expecting, but there's not going to be a lot of "ooh"s and "ahh"s on the individual steps of an unfinished project, particularly when you post all pictures and almost no narrative.

The "topic views" show you're getting plenty of attention.

I, personally, think it's great work and well executed. The end result will be very nice, and of high quality. However, I can't usually think of a comment to add. You're not asking questions, not having problems, not needing advice on how to continue, so what are we going to say? I'll throw out the occasional "Nice Work!" but if you're not asking questions or opinions, there's little to discuss and passing out compliments to a skilled and able welder gets repetitive.

Steve S
Well said!
Sorry I got pushy, and realize there's little to add.

I just like discussion on technique, design, and style of build.
Fabricators sharing their methods on designing bed, etc etc.
That's all.

I realize that you shouldn't compliment on consistent, quality work.....
Only beginners figuring what amperage to set their 1/8" 6013 at.
They deserve the the praise when "it clicks" for them. :idea:

Ok,
Ease up....

I'm just a squirrely dude who just tries to up his post count cheap... :D

Don't mind me.

~John ;)

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Superiorwelding wrote:John,
If you are going I quote me, quote me right. I have told you that MOST here are hobbiest and might not appreciate a build like this. I told you that SOME might not have the skill to tackle a project like this and SOME might not have a interest in it. I agree, you have good views in your topics. We are not Welding Web where you have 30,000 views on this topic. We also don't have 54,000 members. Keep it in perspective. I have told you before, we don't so this for the honor and glory!! Share projects to help others out and a little bragging, not trying to see how many "WOWS" you can get. Humble John.

Also, I would have to agree with Steve on why I don't post. While I appreciate the thorough pictures what am I supposed to say everyone you post? Good job would get old. Remember I told you earlier that this build shows your skill level in that you had no prints and have not done this before.
-Jonathan

"Big Bad John" 8-)

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

AKweldshop wrote: "Big Bad John" 8-)
"Ever' mornin' at the mine you could see him arrive,
He stood six-foot-six and weighed 245.
Kinda broad at the shoulder, and narrow at the hip,
and everybody knew, you didn't give no lip, to Big John..."

Steve S

Splicing in the trailer plug.

This truck did not have thew towing package.
No dedicated trailer plug harness

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

And it works, friends!
All wired up!

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

John everything is looking good. :)
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt

mcoe wrote:John everything is looking good. :)

:D
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG (46.62 KiB) Viewed 10382 times
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG (83.71 KiB) Viewed 10382 times
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG (49.06 KiB) Viewed 10382 times

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

This is where you lost me. I would have put a hinge or some other form of latch on the cover. I see the rubber straps wearing out and in cold weather and repeated use breaking. That is my 2 cents. :)
Matt

mcoe wrote:This is where you lost me. I would have put a hinge or some other form of latch on the cover. I see the rubber straps wearing out and in cold weather and repeated use breaking. That is my 2 cents. :)

We've had them on our truck for 3 years now.
Still working...

We've ripped a lot of hinges off btw....

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

That is what I wanted to check because I have never heard of anyone doing this so I wanted to see what kind of response others had on that. :)
Matt
Bugel
    Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:52 pm

I been following this thread in another site..i must say you did a great job AK ;)
Your stick welding skills are excellent!

Bugel wrote:I been following this thread in another site..i must say you did a great job AK ;)

Thank you for your kind works...

The truck is done, and performs great....so far... ;)
Looks pretty good from where I'm standing.... :D
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG (53.34 KiB) Viewed 10239 times

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

I'm gonna miss this truck..... :(

IMG_0450.JPG
IMG_0450.JPG (66.08 KiB) Viewed 10199 times

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Seriously - your going to miss a FORD when you are a Dodge man ? ! - and most of us let it slide but you recently said to use 6013 ! - you sure your feeling OK John ?

Nice job though - came out looking good & should put up with heavy use for years to come.

noddybrian wrote:Seriously - your going to miss a FORD when you are a Dodge man ? ! - and most of us let it slide but you recently said to use 6013 ! - you sure your feeling OK John ?

Nice job though - came out looking good & should put up with heavy use for years to come.

If you recall, that recommendation for the use of 6013 was in a cheap build-up wear down application.
I've used it on occasion on for build up on misc stuff.

But when it comes to welding plates, channels, tubing etc together, do it right. 7018

Trump/Carson 2016-2024

AKweldshop wrote:
Bugel wrote:I been following this thread in another site..i must say you did a great job AK ;)

Thank you for your kind works...

The truck is done, and performs great....so far... ;)
Looks pretty good from where I'm standing.... :D
There are two moments a job looks great. The moment it arrives, and the moment it leaves. Evereything in between is WORK! 8-)

Steve S

I even put the pic of the bed as the wall paper on my phone and computer.... 8-)
IMG_0449.JPG
IMG_0449.JPG (382.18 KiB) Viewed 10116 times
IMG_0535.JPG
IMG_0535.JPG (44.79 KiB) Viewed 10116 times

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
RonMartens
    Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:02 pm

nice job on the bed!

thought id share this with you,

When I was a young man, I built trucks with platforms and buckets lifts for a living. Most had a flat deck with the other rigged parts integrated into it.

the chassis were long, and the design we used saved weight and metal. when you're building a truck, weight is a factor, as any you add takes away from the gross.

it was a rectangle with an" X " in the center sitting on top of the frame then, all the cross members were different sizes and welded to the " X " section notched into the rectangle 50/50 then welded.

this was a very ridged design and super strong. I remember, we built a mack all wheel drive truck with a 70ft bucket lift and piled 15 shop guys on the fully extended bucket & boom trying to flex the frame without the out riggers down.. just ever so slightly feeding hydraulic, just getting to tip and release pressure slowly.
truck would have flipped if the kept feeding it hydraulic pressure..

you don't want flex, flex will work the bed to death...and some of that diamond plate is funny material as it is and cracks easily when work hardened.

Also, use a thin strip of 1/4 Teflon liner or hardwood block between the truck frame and your body frame. the frame flexes like you cant imagine, with the flex and nothing in between, depending on the load and what's working at that time, the bolts can and will shear right off the frame, U - bolts are proven better choice

one can tell Lots of love went into your build... nice job!