mig and flux core tips and techniques, equipment, filler metal
Darrell F
    Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:29 am

I have a Syncrowave 200 for AC/DC TIG and stick, and a stand-alone MIG unit, but neither of these can run my spool gun. I've had to use it off of my Vantage 400 mobile unit on CV mode. Ideally, I would like a MIG unit with a spool gun connection to replace my current MIG welder. The one that comes to mind is the Millermatic 252 but don't know how it compares with others. I have not done a lot of research on equipment yet, so I'm looking for recommendations from experienced users, about what features are desirable, reliability, controls, etc.
Miller Syncrowave 200, Air Liquide M200 wire feed, Lincoln Vantage 400/Perkins diesel, Miller 30A spool gun
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I've heard good things about the mm252.

I have a smaller older version, the millermatic 210. It's been an excellent machine for me.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I've been running an MM252 in the shop at work for about 3 years now. Great machine. I don't have a single grumble about it. We don't run a spool gun, but it's got gun memories, so it retains the settings for whichever gun you have connected. I'd buy it again.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Never had a problem with the 252s I've used. Run like tanks. Depending on what you want for amps you could go with a new or older 211 that are phenomenal for spool guns.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Tommy2069
    Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:03 am

i agree with the 252 i have one in my shop and it welds pretty good with the spoolgun hooked up to it. i don't really like that the mig gun is on a angle coming out of the unit and i really don't know the reason why they made it that way.one other thing is when im welding with the mig it seems to grunt every so often when i'm close to maxing it out. but i guess no welding machine is perfect. but if your looking for a machine to weld steel and aluminum the 252 is the way to go.
Darrell F

Farmwelding wrote:Never had a problem with the 252s I've used. Run like tanks. Depending on what you want for amps you could go with a new or older 211 that are phenomenal for spool guns.
My dealer said the 211 is not recommended for the 30A spool gun, but the 252 is the one I need. Also, the 211 won't have enough output for my purposes.
Miller Syncrowave 200, Air Liquide M200 wire feed, Lincoln Vantage 400/Perkins diesel, Miller 30A spool gun
Darrell F

Tommy2069 wrote:i agree with the 252 i have one in my shop and it welds pretty good with the spoolgun hooked up to it. i don't really like that the mig gun is on a angle coming out of the unit and i really don't know the reason why they made it that way.one other thing is when im welding with the mig it seems to grunt every so often when i'm close to maxing it out. but i guess no welding machine is perfect. but if your looking for a machine to weld steel and aluminum the 252 is the way to go.
I'm guessing that it's to eliminate that first overbend as it comes out of the machine...one less bend to allow the wire to feed smoother. Question: Where is the weld current connection for the spool gun on that machine? Do you need to just put a pigtail with a twist connector off the positive lug at the drive rolls?
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I have a 252 and the only complaint I have about it is the start. Sounds like a drive by shooting unless I let off the switch for a split second and then it starts right up. I guess I am spoiled from my old MM200 that welds like silk. Other than that it's a good machine.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.