Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Corvax7
    Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:16 pm

Hey, I am a welding student and even tho I am out of classes for the holidays I still jump out to my garage to try my hand on this joint. Pretty much same settings on .063 6061 al. 2/3 on a aluminum chill block (marked with "chill") for the rest of the joint I took off and tried my hand with no chill block. Looking for some constructive criticism and what changes I could make to have a chance at passing this when I get out of school.
Attachments
IMG_20161213_210106.jpg
IMG_20161213_210106.jpg (55.02 KiB) Viewed 646 times
Corvax7

Let's try this again
Attachments
IMG_20161213_205957.jpg
IMG_20161213_205957.jpg (65.84 KiB) Viewed 643 times
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Is that a Starret slab of granite that you're welding on?
Corvax7

I admire your sarcasm, no that is my kitchen. I have a harbor freight cheap o' folding table with my al block on top
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Not sure it was sarcastic, as Starrett makes surface plates out of granite. It would be ill advised to weld on one as they aren't cheap in any fashion.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Maybe it's just the pic but it looks like you didn't clean the metal very good in the "no chill zone" 8-) In fact it looks like you just gave all the metal a short little scrub. Chill bar or not, you cannot weld dirty aluminum properly. Do you get to test with a chiller? The reason I ask is that using a chiller will not always be possible in the real world but I never went to school. You can see the difference in the appearance of the bead and the blow out at the end in the no chill zone...that suggests your foot went to sleep on the pedal a little bit. I would skip the chiller and practice pedal/heat control. I hope you see this as constructive criticism as that is how it was meant. You are doing a fine job on that thin stuff but you might be using the chiller as a crutch. Control your heat input with your foot and when you do use a chiller it will be even easier. Just my 2 cents.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Corvax7 wrote:I admire your sarcasm, no that is my kitchen. I have a harbor freight cheap o' folding table with my al block on top
I only ask because I've seen it attempted. :o

We had one at the last shop I was at, and the owner swore it would become his tombstone when the time came, or whomever cracked it, chipped it, welded on it...etc.