Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
BUZZMAN4177
    Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:55 pm

HI GENTS,
I AM NEW TO THE SITE BUT SEEK SOME OF YOUR INSIGHT. I HAVE DECIDED TO LEARN THE ART OF TIG WELDING ALUMINUM AND I AM HAVING FITS!!!!! I HAVE NO PROBLEM FORMING A WELD POOL WITH THE TORCH (ALL SHINY AND NICELY FLOWING) BUT THE MOMENT I TRY TO INTRODUCE THE FILLER ROD, THE POOL TURNS TO CRAP. THE POOL TURNS BLACK AND THE FILLER ROD BLOBS INTO THE POOL LIKE BLACK SUT. I RELIGIOUSLY CLEAN MY ALUMINUM AND PREHEAT WITH A TORCH PRIOR TO WELDING, I HAVE VARIED MY ARGON OUTPUT FROM 10-20 ON THE GUAGE, I HAVE HAVE CLEANED THE FILLER RODS (TRIED 3/32 AND 1/8 4043). I AM GETTING VERY DISCOURAGED. ANY INFO WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
john.pruette

hello buzzman i am not a expert at tig welding by no means but im getting better all the time and the reason is i read everything jody says on tig welding allum-ss and i think thats what you should do and dont give up the anser is out there good luck john :D
anthonyfawley
    Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

What do you have your setting at on the machine

What Ratio of argon do you have

What kind of machine do you have
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

BUZZMAN4177,

I hate to ask what's probably an obvious question, but you're using AC high-frequency (and you know it's working), 100% argon?

Are you certain of the alloy of your base metal?

With the cleaning you describe, the gas flow, and the fact your puddle forms normally, something doesn't add up.

Steve
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

If you can get a clean shiny puddle goin and its good until you add your filler, well I would start with the filler. Maybe try buyin a fresh, small batch and see if that solves your problem? If you can get a good puddle goin with no filler, I assume you can make a short weld with no filler? Maybe try that too and see if you get any black soot.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
BUZZMAN4177

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES. I HAVE BEEN A FAN OF JODY'S SITE FOR QUITE SOME TIME AND I HAVE WATCHED EVERY VIDEO HE HAS YET TO PRODUCE. STILL CAN'T GET THE BLACK SOOT TO KEEP FROM FORMING WHEN I ADD FILLER METAL TO THE PUDDLE. I HAVE A RILAND 160P WITH PULSE WHICH DOES GREAT WELDING STEEL. I HAVE IT SET ON AC AND HIGH FREQUENCY ENABLED. AS I MENTIONED, I HAVE NO PROBLEM AT ALL FORMING A GOOD, SHINY WELD PUDDLE, IT IS JUST THAT AS SOON AS I INTRODUCE THE FILLER ROD THAT THE PUDDLE TURNS BLACK WITH SOOT. I HAVE TRIED DIFFERENT MAKES OF FILLER METAL AS WELL AS 3/32 SIZES AND 1/8 INCH SIZES AND STILL THE SAME THING!! I AM WONDERING IF THE FILLER ROD IS OBSTRUCTING THE ARGON (100%) GAS FLOW? ANY TAKES ON THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

How much gas flow? With too much, it's possible pushing the rod into the flow is creating turbulence and mixing air in at the weld, even drawing it along the backside of the rod. In calm air, 10-15 cfh is plenty whether you're using a gas lens or collet body. The only time I've needed more than 30 cfh was with a 12 cup, outside.

Also, the smaller your cup, the less flow it takes to get turbulence.

I'll be interested in the solution to this one, as it's new to me.

Steve
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Gotta be a problem with the filler metal. Is your filler brand new, like out of the package? Even if it is, it coud be a bad brand or even a bad batch with some contamination that normal cleaning methods arent removing.

You said it welds steel fine, with filler? Are you using the same cup size when you do? Could be a gas flow thing too I spose, but if yuo can get a good shiny puddle goin than your gas flow should be ok.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
BUZZMAN4177

FIRST OF ALL GENTLEMEN I DO APPRECIATE YOUR RESPONSES. WENT HOME LAST NIGHT AND REMOVED THE GUAGES ON MY ARGON TANK AND REPLACED THEM WITH A DIFFERENT SET OF GUAGES....TRIED TO WELD THE ALUMINUM AND GOT A PERFECT WELD WITH THE FILLER METAL. I PLACED THE GUAGE ON ANOTHER TANK OF ARGON AND TRIED IT AGAIN....SAME THING HAPPENED AS BEFORE...SO I HAVE COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT THE GUAGE IS BAD. I COULD HEAR THE ARGON HISSING SO I ASSUMED THE PRESSURE WAS WHAT I HAD SET IT TO ON THE GUAGE. VERY GOOD LEARNING LESSON FOR ME. AGAIN THANKS FOR THE IMPUT GUYS. TERRY.

So you're using a regulator set, instead of a regulator/flowmeter?

It sounds like my guess about gas flow was pretty much on target. (And it was a guess!)

What's your city/state? I have access to dozens of used flowmeter sets, and could send you one for the postage. You'll use a lot less gas when you can precisely control the flow.

Steve
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Two possibilites and I think you've found one. Your gauge set or your hoses are sucking air from leaks. The other thing that will help keep your welds shinny while maintaining penetration is to keep the filler rod close to the torch and covered by the gas envelop.

Hope that helps.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..
JedCranium
    Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:51 am

I had a similar problem, when I was welding aluminum and I kept getting monkey turds. I finally figured out that I had bad/wrong/contaminated gas. After I switch to a new tank of argon it was all was good. Here after and before...I should have cleaned the top plate but I was just testing on some scrap.

Gas flow 20, 100% argon, 6061 alumimum, 3/32 filler rod, 3/32 2% CER-T, using a Miller Diversion 180 @ 100 A.
Attachments
IMG_9657.jpg
IMG_9657.jpg (57.6 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
IMG_9656.jpg
IMG_9656.jpg (59.32 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

It sounds like you might be touching the filler rod to the electrode. Do you see a bright flash as you introduce the filler?
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder