Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Bradk
    Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:09 am

Good morning,
Been having some issues as of late with tig welding tube material and flat stock that I believe might not being cleaned well enough by yours truly. A typical bad scenario would be starting an arc an getting an immediate green arc and spitting sound and suddenly it's all over. Tungsten is ugly and metal as well. I am thinking that the inside of the tubing still has oil inside and is contaminating the weld immediately? I am starting to wash all steel in hot water and soap to try and avoid this mess from the start. Alcohol is sometimes used but does not work as well as a little scrubbing in the garage sink. Obviously some pieces are too heavy or big to get into soap and water. Throw some ideas at me.
Brad
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Gas flow? Do you have a leak in your torch?
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

There are many possibilities, and an often overlooked is having a magnet holding your pieces down. Magnets and TIG arcs are not good friends. Can be used for some quick tracking, but the presence of a strong magnet will suck your arc away, disrupt the Shielding, and play heLL with your welding.