General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
rtv
  • rtv
    Sat May 22, 2010 12:02 pm

Trying to repair an unusual chair made of steel wire (.135 ish) all the intersections were welded, several have broken.

after bending them back in shape i'm wondering what might be the best approach...try to TIG tack them back? or

TIG braze them back with bronze rod? any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

RTV
1224.png
1224.png (662.63 KiB) Viewed 656 times
1223.png
1223.png (588.33 KiB) Viewed 656 times

As long as the material is in good shape TIG tack would be ok, get in and out quick.
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You need to clean all that paint off first :(
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Logical choice if you have one or can borrow one is a spot welder - way way less hassle.
drizler1
    Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Boy getting that paint is gonna be [emoji85]a BEACH[emoji51] . Now if you can live with it not being super dooper It would be a candidate fo electrolysis removing the rust then painting after.
POR 15 works well for that sort of thing for a primer base coat over sketchy rust like that. Even then you have to get all the flakey loose stuff off and POR is kinda expensive . Then you gotta topcoat over that unless you can live with the fade that the UV will give it when left outside.
What are ya gonna do with it anyways? You can make it as expensive or difficult / easy as you like I guess depending. Me, I’d just wack it with some fluxcore .035. But that’s just me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk