Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
filteredsoul
    Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:23 am

Hi everyone, first post.
I have a new Lincoln Square Wave 200 TIG machine and I just purchased Jody's Stubby gas lens kit for it.
The torch the Lincoln came with is a gray handled, flex head, PTA17.
When I watch the video that came with the gas lens kit, Jody removes the stock insulator off his torch and replaces it with the larger of the 2 provided insulators... then the rest of the pieces go on easily.
On my PTA17 torch, the larger stubby kit insulator doesn't seat on the little grooved "shelf" that the stock insulator seats on.
It barely covers the end of the torch body, and when I screw in the collet body, and the rest of the parts, it just doesn't seem right. Do I need a different shaped/sized insulator? I'm unsure if I should try it as is...
Thanks for the help!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Welcome. Picture speak 1000 words. :D

But if that is not possible, you can still try it. At worst you will have dull ugly welds (assuming you don't get those already :lol: ), and possible an eroded tungsten tip.
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

I think the kit comes with two insulators. You just need to use which ever one fits the torch. I believe he provides two mainly to be accommodating for multiple torches. My Miller #17 uses the smaller of style insulators.

1. Take the whole torch apart.
2. Put the gas lens collet body on.
3. Try each insulator and put on a cup. If its snugs up real nice you probably have the correct one. If its fishy its probably wrong.

Good luck.
Rstamp
    Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:36 pm

Probably what you need to do is leave the regular insulator on and one of the gas lens insulators will piggy back to it, I have a 26 torch on my dynasty set up that way