Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Kunk
    Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:32 am

I’m interested in getting started with arc gouging. I have a dc175 amp and a dc225 amp stick welder. Are either one suitable? My main reason for wanting this is to prep cracks in back hoe buckets and other farm implements for welding.

Would I be better off with a gouging attachment for my plasma cutter?

Thanks
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Welcome to the forum Kunk.
It maybe things have moved on or gotten more efficient than I'm familiar with but based on my own experience ( I do exactly what your intending to use it for ) you don't have anywhere near enough power - I think if you went to the makers website they likely have some up to date info on exact requirements but ball park based on my experience is minimum 400 amps - ( a Ranger or Trailblaser 305 maxed out will do it in short runs but it's real hard on them ) depending on amount of material your trying to move & electrode size - you will also need something in the order of 60cfm of air unless using a large storage tank & doing small runs - if your plasma is capable of setting up for gouging I would say it's WAY more efficient as a process - also don't forget there are curved oxy/acetylene nozzles for gouging - not sure if you've tried them - there is more danger of collateral damage than air/arc but used with care can get the job done.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Plasma gouge it.
snoeproe
    Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:37 am

You can get arc air carbon rods as small as 1/8" dia. With these very small carbons you can get away with arc air gouging with a 200 amp power supply.
You have to keep in mind, the duty cycle of your power supply. A 200 amp welder working at full output will have a minimized duty cycle. Also, with small carbons, your not removing as much material you would with a larger carbon like a 3/8" running at 400 amps.
I've done plenty of carbon arc air gouging using 1/4" carbons at 250 amps.