Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:53 pm

Sorry if this is a question that is older than dirt.

I've been stick, MIG for a long time. I'm not a professional, but I can join metal together, reasonable. I will not weld on neighbors boat trailers or things that really need a professional.

I've always used lacquer thinner to wipe down 'stuff' after cleaning mill scale off or just wiping down. Now that I'm on my journey to become the world's greatest TIG welder I'm confused. Everything I read says 'Acetone' only....... What gives?

I'd like to keep only one gallon can around.......
Everyday I try to be the man my dog thinks I am.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Some paint thinners leave behind residue when they evaporate. Acetone and alcohol generally are good degreasers that are mildly aggressive, don’t attack the base metal, but leave no residue. They also evaporate very fast.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Chlorine free brake clean fluid is good too.
I use "shellite" alot, I think you guys call it naptha. I always have some around because that's what I flush refrig systems out with and also rinse barrel brushes in it too. It's cheap too.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
chickenfarmer
    Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:06 pm

I love good quality laquer thinner, if you've got something that works, stick with it. If I were to use one cleaner, it would definitely belaquer thinner

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks to all for the responses to an old issue. I just didn't want to miss something...
Simclardy
    Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:41 pm

I have switched to isopropyl alcohol.
Works good and might extend my life expectancy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Ditto, I use 70% IPA ;)

Simclardy wrote:I have switched to isopropyl alcohol.
Works good and might extend my life expectancy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Simclardy,

Good advise.. I finish most of the furniture I build with HVLP sprayed finishes. During the prep I will clean surfaces with the alcohol or PrepSol that I always have on hand. So between those and lacquer thinner I think that I'll be OK. During this learning TIG learning process I didn't want to deviate from the 'norm'.

Thanks.....