Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

So after stellar performance from it up till now, ran into the first problem once I started running it at 330A+ on very thick AL plate. Breaker kept tripping (50A, 15' run) after only 20-30 seconds of arc time. At first I was scratching my head about it and thinking maybe the arc shorted due to some spatter or a very slight dip and that caused the trip (not that it should, but at least that's somewhat workable). But after more welding realized it had nothing to do with that. The trip and resulting sudden stoppage of gas flow also murders the tungsten under those conditions, by the way.

Called Everlast and got the distinct impression this is a known issue. They will be sending a new board. We'll see how it goes.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

It's not too late.....

....you know what I mean.....

.....you know you want to......

:lol:
Spartan

Oscar wrote:It's not too late.....

....you know what I mean.....

.....you know you want to......

:lol:
Mmmmmm. Mr. Nolan is also shipping me replacement parts this week, as a matter of fact. :lol:

But, yes, the 400 did cross my mind.
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

Honestly, I'm shocked it's rated for only a 50 amp breaker when running that high.
Spartan

sbaker56 wrote:Honestly, I'm shocked it's rated for only a 50 amp breaker when running that high.
It's LGBT technology that allows that, apparently.
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

How old is your unit? NEVERLAST was useless when I called them about my less than 2 year old 255EXT.
It works so nice on DC, and is now so unstable on AC. According to them, my Tungsten is overheating and causing 'high resistance '. When I called BS on that, they said it was my Ground clamp.
I hope you can get yours fixed, but I'm not holding my breath.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
sbaker56

Spartan wrote:
sbaker56 wrote:Honestly, I'm shocked it's rated for only a 50 amp breaker when running that high.
I think you mean IGBT :lol: or maybe that's just a new kind of transistor I'm not familar with :mrgreen:

Inverters are a lot more effecient, and I've found my Invertec 275 draws less wattage than the breaker requirements in the manual would suggest, but 330 amps even on TIG just seems a heck of a lot beyond what any other MFG would suggest on a 50 amp circuit. It could be an aging breaker as well, they do degrade over time especially if they've been tripped before, you usually see it on 15-20 amp 120v breakers that may be pushed at or above their ratings on a daily basis with various power tools, they'll start tripping constantly when even approaching their rating, that MAY be a factor here.
Spartan

VA-Sawyer wrote:How old is your unit? NEVERLAST was useless when I called them about my less than 2 year old 255EXT.
It works so nice on DC, and is now so unstable on AC. According to them, my Tungsten is overheating and causing 'high resistance '. When I called BS on that, they said it was my Ground clamp.
I hope you can get yours fixed, but I'm not holding my breath.
Got it just a couple months ago. We did have a detailed conversation on the phone today about who would be paying for shipping, etc. (if needed) and how that would relate to my future relationship with their brand.
Spartan

sbaker56 wrote:
Spartan wrote:
I think you mean IGBT :lol: or maybe that's just a new kind of transistor I'm not familar with :mrgreen:

Inverters are a lot more effecient, and I've found my Invertec 275 draws less wattage than the breaker requirements in the manual would suggest, but 330 amps even on TIG just seems a heck of a lot beyond what any other MFG would suggest on a 50 amp circuit. It could be an aging breaker as well, they do degrade over time especially if they've been tripped before, you usually see it on 15-20 amp 120v breakers that may be pushed at or above their ratings on a daily basis with various power tools, they'll start tripping constantly when even approaching their rating, that MAY be a factor here.
6 brand new 50A breakers in a new shop. Tested it on 2 of the breakers.

And I'm pretty sure the machine says LGBT technology. It's fine with me. I support it.
sbaker56

Sounds like it probably is the board then, that or it draws more current than rated. Hopefully the new board resolves the issue.

The HTP Invertig 400 draws 50A, when maxed out on 1-Φ power, which is 350A. Except it doesn't fry boards. It melts metal. :D
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Spartan wrote:It's LGBT technology that allows that, apparently.
Do you think it's a gay or a trans green weenie??? :lol:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan

Oscar wrote:The HTP Invertig 400 draws 50A, when maxed out on 1-Φ power, which is 350A. Except it doesn't fry boards. It melts metal. :D
Mmmhhmmmm. Again, though, HTP is also working on fixing a malfunctioning machine for me this week.
Spartan

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
Spartan wrote:It's LGBT technology that allows that, apparently.
Do you think it's a gay or a trans green weenie??? :lol:
Currently it identifies only as current-limited, apparently. :mrgreen:
TraditionalToolworks

Spartan wrote:Currently it identifies only as current-limited, apparently. :mrgreen:
I think we're supposed to be current generic when we speak of it, to be politically correct.

Maybe it's bi as it uses alternating current? Can I say that without having the PC police jump me? :lol:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

Spartan wrote:
Oscar wrote:The HTP Invertig 400 draws 50A, when maxed out on 1-Φ power, which is 350A. Except it doesn't fry boards. It melts metal. :D
Mmmhhmmmm. Again, though, HTP is also working on fixing a malfunctioning machine for me this week.
oh, which machine malfunctioned? Can't be an HTP welder because you don't own one. Only two coolers.
Spartan

Oscar wrote:
Spartan wrote:
oh, which machine malfunctioned? Can't be an HTP welder because you don't own one. Only two coolers.
Bad flow sensor on the new cooler.

Spartan wrote: Bad flow sensor on the new cooler.
Ah, those sensors are probably chinese, lol.
sbaker56

I'd like to see the hunk of aluminum you guys are maxing a machine out on :shock:. I could use a piece as a heat sink while welding :D

sbaker56 wrote:I'd like to see the hunk of aluminum you guys are maxing a machine out on :shock:. I could use a piece as a heat sink while welding :D
I still haven't maxxed out my machine. Still have to finish my RPC set-up to get 400A. :)
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:Ah, those sensors are probably chinese, lol.
Wait a second...Jeff Nolan claims there's no Chinese parts in the HTP machines... :roll:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
Oscar wrote:Ah, those sensors are probably chinese, lol.
Wait a second...Jeff Nolan claims there's no Chinese parts in the HTP machines... :roll:
Why do you think I said "probably"? I said it because I do not know for a fact, and presented it as speculation on my end. I thought that was pretty obvious and correct use of the word "probably", don'tcha think?

By the way, the post you are likely thinking about where Jeff chimed in was about the 221, specifically. He stated:
The HTP 221 is 100% made in Italy. All of the PCBs in the 221 are made in house at the factory in Italy, and they are not farmed out to a Chinese PCB manufacturer, like many of our competitors do. Additionally the machine is made to an IP23 Specification, which far more stringent than the IP21 standard many other machines are made to. The machine has been out for 10 years, and is extremely reliable. Unlike many of our competitors that bring new machines out every year, if we have something that works well, we don't mess with it.
That is the post you had "liked". Technically it doesn't say anything about their coolers. So your use of the word "machines" isn't as judicious as it could be, as you seem to be confusing Jeff's statement (quoted) and extrapolated it to say that Jeff said that it was "all machines", when that is not what he said. I wouldn't doubt if some of the parts in the basic water-coolers are indeed chinese, as they have to stay competitive and can't price a cooler at $800-$900 when everyone else is selling them for $400. They'd never sell a single cooler if they had one made in Europe/Italy for a basic TIG, and of course yet again I have to insert a disclaimer that this is just my opinion; I've never asked them about it because frankly to me it doesn't matter as it just works. I replaced the hoses in both my coolers because they turn brown, but other than that, they do work. One is 7 yrs old and the other is about 4yrs old.. Just look at their smart-cooler; it's a ~$1,000 option for some of their welders. Not too many people would buy that for their Invertig 221, IMO. Of course I could be wrong about everything, but it's generally not the case. :lol:
TraditionalToolworks

HaHa, a like is subjective. I know for fact that the hose covers they sell are made in China as are HTP America tungsten.

I don’t believe that no Chinese parts are used, even on their PCBs. :D

Notice I haven’t liked ANYTHING over there in a week and counting! :lol:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

TraditionalToolworks wrote:HaHa, a like is subjective. I know for fact that the hose covers they sell are made in China as are HTP America tungsten.

I don’t believe that no Chinese parts are used, even on their PCBs. :D

I guess we'll never really know. All I know is all my machines kick a*#.

Here I was using one of my MIGs to weld mesquite to pecan BBQ firewood :D

Spartan

sbaker56 wrote:I'd like to see the hunk of aluminum you guys are maxing a machine out on :shock:. I could use a piece as a heat sink while welding :D
Didn't get any pics, but it was fillet welds on 3/4" and 1" thick 6061 flat bar about 8" wide and 6-18" long pieces. Some sort of pump mount. Took some amps for sure.