Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

It always seemed that I was having problems welding Aluminum......... my tungsten was balling up and the welds were just terrible .....once in a while I would get nice beads . On stainless I run 10 CFH with no problems. I always kept the pressure low on AC simply because I was thinking the higher pressure (say 20 CFH) was causing my filler rod to melt up before I had a chance to dip into the puddle. No changing of the balance or frequency would make a difference.

The tungsten was acting as if the gas was not on. So I tried running at 20 CFH and all was better..........I am guessing that 10 CFH was OK for coverage on stainless but not on aluminum.

My current settings just running beads on 1/8" aluminum........One thing for sure with the Argon set higher the 2% Lanthinated Tungsten stayed razor sharp.

Amps 100

Frequency 100

Balance 65-68

Argon 20 CFH

2% Lanthinated tungsten

Anyone else experience this???

Anyone else experience this???
Norman
    Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:11 am

Hi,
I personally use 7-8 LPM which would give you 15-17 CFH which for me is a good all round figure,gas lens setup works well, saves gas too.... 8-)
If It Aint Broke.....Leave It The Hell Alone