Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I recently read with interest several warnings about cleaning aluminum with brake cleaner on another post - thanks for the heads up - I figured it just evaporated so there was no problem doing this ! I've welded most other processes for some time but am new to AC tig -my only aluminum welding previously was boken gearbox casings using a "spool on" MIG - the recognised prep being repeated wire brushing & heating with a propane torch till crud stopped appearing - my question is can I use Isopropanol as a safe effective cleaner as I have about 10 gallons of the stuff that was delivered by mistake so is free - whereas acetone is locally very hard to find & costs $15 for a quart can & I waste more than I use - the brake cleaner seemed to work well enough - was convenient in a spray can & came from £land ( like a Dollar store but $1,58 ! ) the next cheapest would be cellulose thinners ( about $15 per gallon )
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Isopropanol is a good solvent for oils and organics, but not as strong as acetone.

But, hey, it's free! Just allow soak time. Some things can be soaked in a bath; others, just wrap with a rag and saturate and give it time to work. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes, but it isn't "spray and wipe" like brake cleaner.

BTW, the brake-cleaner warnings are mostly outdated. When chloroflourocarbons (CFCs) were used as propellent, you could easily make phosgene gas, a deadly nerve toxin. The end of CFCs was ALMOST the end of the problem. For a time, methylene chloride was a primary solvent, and may still be present in cheap-o products of Chinese/Asian/developing nation origin. MC doesn't make phosgene, but it does make some noxious stuff when burned, and is a potential carcinogen in it's natural state. If you look for a respected brand, and it says "non-chlorinated", it's fine. I use brake cleaner all the time.

Steve S
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

I keep a spray bottle with a dilute solution of dawn dish detergent and water and a roll of cheap paper towels. Spray it on, wipe it off. By dilute, I mean, not much more soap added to the water than one might use for checking leaks in tires. I also use common bar (Lever works great) soap as a lubricant for my aluminum cutting tools as it seems to interfere less than stick wax does.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Thanks for the advise guys - oddly went back & got a fairly decent weld on some of the same 3mm sheet I'd had problems with before but I did buy some acetone to clean it with just to rule out one variable - now I don't know if it's me / the retarded Chinese welder or the cleaning that's improved - I also found that I had a new left over 6" by 2" non woven ( Scotchbrite ) fine wheel from a stainless job I did that required surface blending of welded parts to match the suppplied brush finish box section & that worked really well cleaning the ally without making deep hard to remove scratches.