General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

Last friday I picked up a 'Millwaukee' band-saw off craigslist. I cannot believe how GOOD these things are! I wish I had bought one 30 yrs ago! My bro has one but I never tried it out till a few weeks ago & was totally sold, & started looking for one. Anyway, , , -corn-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I second Milwaukee, they are my first choice in power tools. I get most of my power tools from the metal recycling yards as most of them require either a new switch, power cord or brushes (and the cost of the scrap metal is pennies on the dollar.)

I've collected a lot of tools over the years, and Milwaukee is the best in my opinion. The same goes for Hilti, when it comes to the heavier equipment. When I see either of these tools in the recycling yards, I can't understand the mentality of the person putting them there. Fantastic equipment. (BTW - I love Husqvarna chainsaws...)

I clean up the tools with 'Spray Nine' and they look like new. http://www.spraynine.ca/

cornmuse wrote:Last friday I picked up a 'Millwaukee' band-saw off craigslist. I cannot believe how GOOD these things are! I wish I had bought one 30 yrs ago! My bro has one but I never tried it out till a few weeks ago & was totally sold, & started looking for one. Anyway, , , -corn-
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I second the value of a porta-band.

I also second the value of Milwaukee tools, particularly the older ones with little plastic on them. The newer ones are fine, as well, but you must watch a bit closer for screws backing out over time.

They even make a pneumatic model! I used it while working on "hot" (loaded) hydrogen trailers, where electrics are a no-no, and the speed must be kept down to avoid excessive heat. That thing could be dialed down to inches-per-second and never lose torque.

Steve S
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I had a old Rockwell porta-band that i would take to jobsites and it was always a struggle to get it to cut straight. Then another guy brought in his Milwaukee and it was like night and day!

Dewalt makes a pretty decent porta-bandsaw, too. It's usually a few dollars cheaper than the Milwaukee but it doesn't come with a carrying case.

I used to buy a lot of heavy duty tools like this from pawn shops and i usually got a good deal on barely used stuff. Then all of a sudden there are all these shows on tv about pawn shops and now every one of them thinks that all of their stuff is pure gold. They still don't want to give you anything for it when you bring it in, but now they don't want to take less than a tenth of what they used to settle for to sell it back.

Other Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

An "honest" pawnbroker will tell you the difference between a violin and a fiddle.

"If I want to buy it, it's a fiddle. If I want to sell it, it's a violin!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

:lol:

Pawnbrokers and loan officers have a specific type of math that they use, too.....

One plus one equals two when I owe you,
One plus one equals three when you owe me.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

In aus we have what we call "Cash Converters " a natioal franchise, similar idea though. I pay you sweet bugger all for something then sell it for 10 times the price. When you sell to them you always leave with a slightly sore bodily opening, if you know what I mean..... Also in Aus Portabands are not that popular. I think there are a few on the market but not many.

Mick